Service 4wd Light

I have a 2000 Silverado and the service 4wd light comes on and off periodically in the message center. Before going to the stealership and paying for a diagnostic has anyone else had this light come on?

Thanks John

Reply to
John

yes

people who have problems with 4WD and need to go to a shop and have it checked

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I thought mine was in celebration, like Christmas? I didn't know it actually meant anything.

I think what TranSurgeon means is; do you have an SYMPTOMS...............?

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I haven't had a chance to test the 4wd when the light has been on, but will when I get a chance. I did call my local dealer and talked to a service adviser and he said it has been a common problem and most of the time it has been an encoder switch, so I called the parts department and they do not have such a part listed for my truck but they do have an Ignition Cylinder Case and that is what he thinks he is referring to as an encoder switch.

Thanks John

Reply to
John

It's an encoder motor, IIRC. It's not cheap, but is the most common cause of any 4x4 push-button problem.

GMC Gremlin

SYMPTOMS...............?

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Wow did I have trouble with my service 4wd light. I took it in 5 times to get it fixed. they replaced the encoder, some linkage, flashed the truck's computer several times, and hopefully it is fixed. I also know that they have had problems with the buttons on the dash as well. Also try a search on

am not promoting this site, but they are another source for information.bruce Christian

2003 2500hd ls.

SYMPTOMS...............?

Reply to
Bruce Christian

The most common problem for that year, and that vehicle was the dash switch. You need to have it scanned for ATC history codes. Most likely you will find the code 2725. In this case, you would need a new dash switch assembly. I've heard the problem is the solder joints in the switch itself, so I imagine that if you were handy with electronic things, you could probably repair the solder joints. Otherwise, throw a dash switch in it.

If you come up with a code other then 2725...further diagnosis would be necessary.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I have a 2000 4x4 Z-71 5.3 EXT Cab LT which had the

Service 4x4 dash Message...

It was cold solder joints in the 4x4 push button switches.

Dealer installed a new $55 push button switches under warranty..

Problem gone..... with no worry of 4x4 at speed engagement...

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

I've had a similar (I guess) problem, but the truck works fine (again I guess).

About one start in 50, the little red light between 4x2 and 4x4 high is lit, usually I don't notice it until i've been driving a while. If I click either 4x2 or 4x4 high it will blink that button for a bit and then go back to the red... in order to get it to go back to the 4x2 light, I have to turn the truck off, shift to neutral, and then start it again.

The dealership claims they scanned the xfer case, etc, and say they see no codes. Is this a minor annoyance or is somethign really going on here?

Thanks guys!

adam snipped-for-privacy@langley.af.mil '03 K500 Tahoe '95 Z71, Edelbrock MPFI '93 Mustang Cobra 3076

Reply to
adam

If the" Service 4wd Light" comes on on a 1999 or Newer Chevy Truck....

It's probably from the Bad Solder connections on the 4 Button Dash Switch....

It is a very well known Problem at ' All good Dealers'....

Have it resoldered or Replaced under a Warranty (or hidden Warranty)

before you have a major 4 Wheel Drive unexpected engagement to 4 LOW......

Reply to
Dennis Mayer