Service engine code P1870

Hello All,

Just got this Service Engine Soon code on my 2002 Chevy Suburban, P1870.

Also have noticed the trasmission is slipping and /or shifting strangly.

Is this a transmission problem or some type of bolt on component. I only have 33,000 miles on the transmission.

Looking forward to reply's

Thanks jstokes

Reply to
John

If you still have warranty (you do based on mileage) get it to the dealer ASAP. P1870 is the TCC slipping, it can be damaging to let it continue. This is usually caused by the TCC solenoid wearing its bore too much, it's a common problem on the 4L60Es. You have the 1/2-ton version (1500), right?

Reply to
Mike Levy

actually, it means' transmission component slipping'

and is usually caused by the torque converter regulator valve wearing its bore (the solenoid installs into the pump and does not move)

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I was close. The basic idea is that he wants to get in to the dealer for a warranty repair ASAP.

Reply to
Mike Levy

yeah

and the dealer will sell him a valve body (which will do the same tihng in

60k or so) for about $ 750, when it can be fixed by any competent transmission shop for about 400-450

John, please e-mail me

TranSurgeon