Setting spark timing

Hello, I have a 1994 S10 4.3 TBI, this is with a distrubitor. I am trying to set the spark timing. What is the connector to pull off, or where is it, to set this with a timing light? Also called the timing connector? Thanks to all,

-- David Algie Algie Composite Aircraft

David Algie

pass side kick panel area, its a brown wire with a black plug on it. just unplug it when cking/setting the timing.

Reply to
Scott M

Thank you Scott, I'll go look.

Reply to
David Algie

no problem. You might have to do some digging in there, the wire is in with the ECM bundle of wires. You might even have to pull down the ECM to get to it.

Reply to
Scott M

Well, I looked under the passenger's footwell panel, two large connectors but no single brown wire with a black connector. I got into a Michell on demand system and it said for the 4.3 that it is near the distributor in the engine compartment, and the 2.2 is in the footwell. I couldn't find it anywhere, nothing even looking like it. Anyone have any ideas? '94 S10 4.3. Thanks.

Reply to
David Algie

Reply to
Larry Gathright

David,

It's a brown wire with a WHITE stripe. It's called the EST (electronic spark timing) wire. It will be located beneath the underhood fuse/relay panel (on the firewall, passenger side) or beneath the kick panel, inside the cab, on the passenger side.

Regards,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Larry,

1) Locate the EST wire. It's brown with a white stripe. It will be located beneath the underhood fuse/relay center (passenger side of firewall, just above the A/C accumulator) or beneath the kick panel on the passenger-side of the cab. 2) Start the truck and let it FULLY WARM UP. If you have to drive it around to get the t-stat to open and get her up to 195*, do it. 3) With the engine running, unplug the EST wire. This will set off the Service Engine Soon light. 4) Hit her with a timing gun. Spec is TDC or 0* BTDC. 5) Turn off the truck. 6) Plug the EST back in. 7) Disconnect the NEGATIVE battery terminal for 30 seconds, then hok it back up.

All done.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

David, my '94 sonoma 4.3 has the connector under the dash on the pass side. Mine is the votec version but I bet it is the same. The computer is up there and this brown wire actually goes to the computer. It is setting in with about 100 other wires that go the the computer. Look under the carpet right below the ac/heater box, then if you cant find it pull the screws that hold the computer in. They are below the glove box, under the dash. It is kind of confusing because the computer sticks up under the dash. It is mounted on a bracket that is part of the "trim" up under the dash that covers that whole area. You will need to pull the kick panel too (I think )to get it out.

Reply to
Scott M