Sierra 1500 20" wheels

Does anyone have a 1500 with larger wheels on it? Can you tell me what the ride quality is like. The only way I can tell is to buy $3,000 worth of wheels and tires to put it on the truck. The only problem is, after it's been bought I can't return it.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Smith

Can't help you on ride quality but personally I think they look stupid on trucks. I once saw a Z71 off road truck with those huge spinner type wheels and low profile tires and just busted out laughing. I actually pictured it in my head going off road and getting mud caked up in the spinner part.

Sorry, I just love to make fun of the way people dress up their trucks.

Saw another Chevy 1500 with a brush guard on the front and had it slammed (lowered). Pictured it going through the woods tearing off his ground effects kit but the grill was safe.

Saw a small truck that was lowered driving across a road construction site. He was bull dozing gravel with his fancy painted airdam.

Reply to
Me

I have 20's on my 2003 1500 Truck, running 275/45R20 Goodyear tires. It rides a little harder, but not enough to bother me. I wouldn't go with 22" or larger wheels. Basically with the Size tire I have listed, the overall Diamiter is the SAME as a stock tire. More wheel, less sidewall, and of course wider. My truck also has a 2/4 drop also. If you're at a stock hight, you can go with a larger sidewall of a tire, possibley a 285/50R20. $3000 for a set of 20's with tires is a little much! You can get a nice set in the 2,000 to 2,300 price range, unless your looking at really high end wheels!

Reply to
JBDragon

It's all in what you use your truck for! If it's a work truck, stock is just fine. Who wants there's truck/car whatever looking like 1000's of others? Not me. A Brush guard on a lowered truck doesn't make any since at all. Had no vision on which direction they wanted to take the truck. Spinners on a Z71, Well I'm not a big fan of them. They get you a lot of attention if that's what your after, But it's a hassle to Rotate you tires, they've been known to come Flying off at highway speeds. Most people who buy 4x4's don't take them off road anyway so spinners wouldn't be a problem.

There has to be a limit though on how large a wheel people are going to put on a car or truck. I've seen up to 26" wheels, though on a Car TV show they showed a 36" Gold Spoke wheel for Display. Were heading to the Wagon wheel days.

Hey, I've seen 15" wheels on trucks the wheels are wide, and the tires have small sidewalls, and stickout out from the finders. Looks like CRAP, don't know what they were thinking there. It's not the Size of the wheel, but the LOOK that counts. The wheel/tire Combo you pick for your truck can make or brake the look of your truck.

Planning ahead of time what direction you want to go in before you even do anything is the smart thing to do, so that you don't have a brush guard on a lowered truck, a Painted airdam where it's going to be distroyed by where you work or live or normal driving area. Spinners on a truck you take off road is NOT a good Idea unless you remove them first.

Reply to
JBDragon

i can top that one with a laugh. saw the same rims and tires BUT on a tahoe z71, and it was lowered. almost hit the stop sign in my subdivision i was laughin so hard. will have to see if i can find it again and take a pic, just incase you all need a good laugh.

Reply to
Charles H.

I currently have a Silverado SS with the factory 20's on it. The wheel/tire combos are heavy as hell. I think around 78 pounds? Heavier than like, 75% of all aftermarket 20" rim/tire combos.

I can't tell you what the ride is like without them, but with them it's no problem at all. I live in a rural New England farm-land type area with horrible cracked, frost heaved roads. The ride is not all light and fluffy, but it's completely bearable. It seems to bother my girlfriend a bit, but she's always been a car-girl. I've always owned trucks, so maybe I don't know any better.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Yup. My '90 Jimmy rides perfect, I actually don't like the way cars handle. Guess I'm a truck guy too.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I just aligned a couple Cadillacs today, one was a 66 Eldorado, and the other was a 74 Fleetwood. They both had 22" wheels installed on them. There was Spring Spacer blocks on the front to raise them up enough for the wheels to work, so the front was quite a bit higher then the rear, and the tires STILL were rubbing. The wheels were worth far more then the Cars themself. They looked like crap and ride like crap. That seems to be the thing to do though. You can tell quite a bit about a person by the car they own!

Reply to
JBDragon

My 96 C1500 pickup sits on 18's with 255/55 tires. It has a 2-4 drop. I went with those sizes so that it wouldn't mess with the speedometer. I also installed polyurethane bushing kit. then added edelbrock performer IAS 2" drop shocks in the front and rear. I love the handling and how responsive the steering is with this setup. With the stiffer sidewall tires and the bushings, the ride is a little rougher for in-town. But really nice on they freeway. Plus there is enough rubber on the wheels so I don't have to worry about potholes and curbs jacking up my wheels as much.

My 94 K1500 suburban sits on 22's 305/40 tires. it's a 4 wheel drive so no drop on this one. again full polyurethane bushing kit. performer IAS shocks. Again I love the handling and the responsive steering. With the stiffer sidewall tires and the bushings, the ride is a little rougher for in-town. But really nice on they freeway. However I do wish I'd put more tire on the wheels to protect them from potholes and curbs.

20's with enough tire you should be happy with.
Reply to
smoove

I have yet to figure out the point is of putting anything bigger than

16 inch rims on a truck... what is the benefit?

IMO those huge flashy wheels look stupid no matter what they are on.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Maybe i do!!!

Reply to
LARRY929

I hear ya Tony!!

Reply to
LARRY929

Oh excuse me I should have said afro american engineer.

Reply to
LARRY929

Red Neck!

Say hello to you're daddy / brother for me when you see him.

Reply to
el Diablo

Hey!! rednecks built this country, Id much rather be a redneck anyday d*****ad!!

Reply to
LARRY929

Rednecks know that minorities belong in there place too!!

Reply to
LARRY929

That's right they did, and we're still trying to get it straightened out.

Reply to
el Diablo

Then you should know you're place Redneck. After all you're a minority in this country!

Reply to
el Diablo

the cornering in my truck is alot nicer with the 18's than it was when I had

Reply to
smoove

Well just go slower aroung corners then you wont need those big wheels.

Reply to
LARRY929