site for vin look up

does anyone know a site that will tell you every part # of equipment on your vehicle like the which tranny I have on it.

Reply to
bubba in italy

_____________

Tippy

Reply to
tippy

The VIN will not tell you much about the vehicle, except the year,make,model,type of chassis, build location and sequence number.

What you need to do is look in the glove compartment for the RPO code sticker, it tells you about the options and equipment on the vehicle, however it does NOT tell you part numbers, just the option codes and what they mean. For instance a code of M30 equals 4L60 E Automatic 4 speed trans. or a code A31 equals Power Windows.

Find that sheet with the 3 digit codes and you can look them up online and find out a lot of info.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W.

Actually Steve, with the access to the right database, and if the vehicle is new enough, you CAN get the options list from the VIN. Every VIN is unique, so it'll pop it up when punched in. I think GM dealers are the only ones with access...

Reply to
Mike Levy

True, However that info is not online (unless it is very well hidden). So normal folks have to resort to the RPO codes..

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Mike Levy
.

. site for vin look up Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Oct 12, 2003, 9:06am (CDT+5) From: post in group please =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D= snipped-for-privacy@tin.it (bubba=A0in=A0italy) does anyone know a site that will tell you every part # of equipment on your vehicle like the which tranny I have on it.

Reply to
Marsh Monster
.

. site for vin look up Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Oct 12, 2003, 9:06am (CDT+5) From: post in group please =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D= snipped-for-privacy@tin.it (bubba=A0in=A0italy) does anyone know a site that will tell you every part # of equipment on your vehicle like the which tranny I have on it.

Reply to
Marsh Monster

--------------------------

Here is a post from the chevy 4x4 group in December 2002

I found a guide for GM trucks:

Dan

Tippy

Reply to
tippy

site for vin look up Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Oct 12, 2003, 9:06am (CDT+5) From: post in group please =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D= snipped-for-privacy@tin.it (bubba=A0in=A0italy) does anyone know a site that will tell you every part # of equipment on your vehicle like the which tranny I have on it.

Reply to
Scribb Abell