Slightly OT:Stuborn Screw

Howdy all This is a little OT but I hope you can help. I'm having trouble getting a screw out of the sunroof motor of my Alfa. The screw runs through the sunroof motor through the roof and into the outer sunroof spoiler. The motor housing is aluminum and the screw is steel with a counter sunk head.

It seems that there is a nut on the back side of the screw, which is completely inaccessible, that has broken loose and freely spins. I have been unable to loosen or tighten the screw. I have tried downward pressure on the motor assembly and upward pressure on the spoiler assembly. Either of these make the screw harder to turn, but won't put enough binding pressure on the nut to loosen it. I can't grasp the screw head with anything because it is counter sunk too far into the motor assembly.

Any creative solutions?

Reply to
Brian Jones

cut the head off before you break something.

Scrib Abell =BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF=BF

Slightly OT:Stuborn Screw Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Oct 26, 2003, 8:20pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Brian=A0Jones) Howdy all This is a little OT but I hope you can help. I'm having trouble getting a screw out of the sunroof motor of my Alfa. The screw runs through the sunroof motor through the roof and into the outer sunroof spoiler. The motor housing is aluminum and the screw is steel with a counter sunk head. It seems that there is a nut on the back side of the screw, which is completely inaccessible, that has broken loose and freely spins. I have been unable to loosen or tighten the screw. I have tried downward pressure on the motor assembly and upward pressure on the spoiler assembly. Either of these make the screw harder to turn, but won't put enough binding pressure on the nut to loosen it. I can't grasp the screw head with anything because it is counter sunk too far into the motor assembly. Any creative solutions?

Reply to
Scrib Abell

Thanks guys. I had to drill off the head to get it apart. The cause of the problem was a nut-sert that had locktite on it(stupid Idea) The nutsert let loose before the locktite and it was all over.

Reply to
Brian Jones