Small Engines, synthetic oils, weight rating

Greetings,

I was wondering about the weight ratings on synthetics. I would like to run it in my smaller engines like my lawnmower and snow blower, I was even thinking about changing out the oil for my shop compressor and switching to synthetics. A while back I converted to synthetic oil in my 2003 Trailblazer, Since I've changed over in my Trailblazer I've noticed a little better gas mileage and have also noticed that the engine temp is a little lower, so, I know that it must be doing a better job. When I was a kid I remember a product called, I believe, Slick 50, some sort of oil additive. I saw a 3.5 HP horz shaft Briggs and Stratton engine running with only a few drops of it in the crankcase. I remember that I got in a heated debate about putting a load on the engine with only a few drops of lube inside, engines need to run the proper levels for cooling, etc... Anyway's, Is there any rule of thumb for switching straight 30W needed for the small, less than 10 HP, 4 cycle engines that only have an oil slinger in them. I'd like to run AMSOIL, or, more locally available, Mobil 1.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Take care,

Mark

Reply to
Markus

You should try Schaeffer's.

That's all I run in everything I own, its a synthetic blend also, plus it has friction modifiers. I get about 5,000 miles on an oil change and the oil goes in new looking green and it comes out looking like honey, not that black dirty look. You would want supreme 7000, They offer it in 5w-30, 10w-30, and 15w-40. They have racing oil, 20w-50, 2 cycle oil. This is what I use, and I absolutely love it, granted I pay $3.50 a quart, its worth it.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

I have used nothing but 5W30 Mobil 1 in my snow blowers, mowers, generators, and other air cooled engines for years.

If straight weight 30 is specificed I use 5W30 Mobil 1. Look at it this way. The synthetic 5W30 is just like straight weight 30 except it doesn't get as thick as it gets cold and it can take a lot more heat, not getting too thin as it gets very hot.

All oil thins as it get hot. Conventional 5W30 uses viscosity improvers to prevent it from getting too thin.. Synthetics don't thin as much as they get hot so they don't need viscosity improvers.

As for additives like Slick 50:

ABC