Smoke from exhaust

Hello... I have this 83 chevy that went a few years without running. The mechanic got it going again, but he figures it has either stuck oil rings, or needs some valve seals. ...The engine has lots of power, but if you rev it up, there is a puff of blue smoke on deceleration. The mechanic figures that if it was valve seals, there should be an instant puff of blue smoke upon starting the engine (after sitting a while). ..Which there isn't. Any suggestions? ...Incidentally, there is no blue smoke while the engine is running normally.

Also... He feels that if it is stuck rings, he had me put about a pint of automatic transmission fluid in the engine, to see if it might unstick them. ...Any suggestions, as to something better to use -- that isn't too hard on the engne. Thanks for any help. ....Jon.

Reply to
Johnny1000

How bout this. I have never tryed it but....It seems to me if you had stuck rings the best thing to do would be to put your cleaner crap in the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Let it sit over night. Crank it without the plug in it in the AM to blow the leftover out(if there was any). Put the plugs back in. Run it for 2 minutes then change the oil. What do ya think? This way you are going to the root of the problem......Not sturing up all the crap in the rest of the motor.

Reply to
Scott M

I would just leave it. Drive it like normal and over time the oil flowing and heat will probably loosen everything up again. You can try the transmission fluid (the same as using Marvel Mystery Oil) or you can try an oil change with detergent oil. If it were me I would not worry about it. It's 20 yrs old if you have good oil pressure and no knocks don't sweat it. If the ring was sticking you would smoke all the time, it just is a little weak and not sealing well (floating) when the bore pressures are low. Leave it and don't drag race it. :-) Stay away from all of the *wonder* additives that are on the market. I have seen them do an immense amount of damage to an otherwise sound engine. I would follow the mechanics advise.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor