Soft brake pedal

I just picked up a 1998 K2500 and the brake pedal is soft and able to go all the way to floor. I have inspected all the brakes and they have plenty of life left, I also bleed the lines at each wheel. Is there anything else to check before replacing the master cylinder?

thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

Another way to check the master is to pull the lines off of it and put plugs in the ports. If the pedal still goes to the floor .... "It's the Master Cylinder Felix!!"

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Adjust up the rears if they are drums.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

I just went through this on a 97 C1500 Suburban. I could not get a hard brake pedal. I replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes several times - still the pedal was soft. I eventually took it to a brake shop - they checked everything out to be OK - bled the brakes again - adjusted the rear drums, which helped ,but still the pedal is, in my opinion, soft. The brake shop told me it was typical for a Chevy truck - they all have soft pedals! The brakes work (sort of) but do not fill me with confidence. My next step was to replace the front brake hoses but as the transmission went out I have not got around to this yet.

Doug

Reply to
Droopy

Check the rubber lines thoroughly, a weak line will give a definite soft pedal! Replace Both front lines even if only one is weak! I have solved many soft pedal situations with a good thorough vacuum bleed. Master cylinder replacement might still be in order.

Reply to
Shades