Sonoma Shock Absorbers

While under my truck this weekend I found the right front shock was wet. Haven't removed it or viewed enough to confirm its coming out of the shock but the little truck is a bit twitchy at 70 MPH and sometimes has a lope which I can't pin on the tires or road. Have considered replacing the shocks for no other reason than to upgrade the ride. But now I've seen oil I have further justification.

Local autoparts stores stock Gabriel and Monroe shocks. Searching mail order most seem to push Bilstein which are the most expensive. Words in the descriptions of each product seem to be mostly fluff. Are there real differences between the *performance* of the different products? Is a Monroe Sensa-Trac really better than a Monroe-matic?

Bilstein's claim-to-fame is self-adjusting. Bought a set of Bilstein "soft sport" struts and shocks for my 1986 VW Golf about 14 years ago. Sure were sweet the first two weeks until they decided to adjust. Then they pounded me to death. Ultimately put cheap shocks on it and was much happier.

Its a 4 cylinder 5 speed 2 wheel drive 2001 Sonoma long bed. Primarily used to haul off-road motorcycles. Often on interstate. So whats good? Whats bad? Why?

Reply to
David Kelly

Always had good luck with Monroe shocks, they ride very firm and last for ever.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo