spare tire hoist

I have a 96 Astro 2 wheel drive. It is the first van that I've had with a spare tire under the body. The last van had the spare attached to the rear door.

I was attempting to change the spare tire, didn't know that there was a hole behind the rear doors that allows the use of a hoist mechanism. Instead I was under the car trying to unscrew tthe flange that holds the tire. -- Yes I am stupid. Anyway I ended up breaking the end of the cable that goes in to the hoist mechanism. I didn't see that there was a mechanism because it was hidden by the spare tire.

I can either attempt to repair the hoist mechanism or buy another one. The dealer sells them for $57. Anyone know where I can buy a used one? The dealer says the part number is #7629 but that sounds like too short of number.

Thanks,

k_r_a_u_s_t_e_r_a_t_s_b_c_g_l_o_b_a_l_d_o_t_n_e_t__and_here_is_a_few_more_characters_to_break_the_spam_harvesters

Reply to
K Steve

I'd try a junk yard, although $57 doesn't seem unreasonable for a rust-free hoist mechanism.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

You could try a cable building company to fix it, might be cheap for you. They could probably put a new end of some kind on it so it will hold...

Reply to
Scott M

I am not finding this part at the online used parts web sites that I have come up with Google. Can anyone recommend an online source that has a large enough supply of Astro parts that they might have the part? If not, I agree that $57 might be the reasonable solution.

Steve

K Steve wrote:

k_r_a_u_s_t_e_r_a_t_s_b_c_g_l_o_b_a_l_d_o_t_n_e_t

Reply to
K Steve

you can try at

some folks have parts vans sitting around waiting for some use most are happy to give you the part for the price of shipping maybe there is one in your area. rick

haracters_to_break_the_spam_harvesters

Reply to
Rick De Visser