Speedo gear, 29 teeth?

My 87 Suburban's speedometer understates actual speed by 77% (exact ratio of 10/13). My mechanic opened the transmission and counted the teeth on the (sending?) gear there: 38 teeth. He cannot find a source of replacement gears with fewer than

36 teeth. 36 is not worth installing; the correct number of teeth would be 29 (77% of 38); can a 29-tooth gear be bought anywhere online? Or do I need to stick a transducer thingie on the speedo cable?

Una

Reply to
Una