spray lubricants

I went to the hardware store today, to get a new can of white lithium spray lube, for general purpose lubrication needs. On the same shelf with it, were cans of silicone based and teflon based spray lubes...I left, wondering if lithium based was still the hot setup for that sort of thng. Anyone care to comment on what each sort of spray lube is appropriate for?

-- Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR Control-G Consultants snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com

Reply to
Lee K. Gleason

Spray grease, which is what you have got, is good because it penetrates before it solidifies, so is good for door hinges and such things which, if you wipe the surplus off immediately, leaves a nice clean area which has no runs. Spray chain oil is good for chains because it penetrates again before thickening and is clear but always remains tacky. It has a non fling formula which, if you put some on your fingers and clamp them together then apart, strings of oil will join your fingers. Open gear lubricant spray is similar to chain oil but solidifies more to a durable wear resistant extreme pressure layer, almost a solid. There are very many others, as you have seen. Silicon spray is very thin and is primarily perhaps a rubber and plastic lube. Also Penetrating oils for easing siezed parts, some include longer term lube combined so they can be used on noisy house door hinges for instance.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

If you are looking for a brand name, I highly recommend LPS. the make a chain lubs, regular spray lube and electrical contact cleaner.

ed

Reply to
fj

Let me put in a good word for Permatex Superlube. It's a thick teflon-bearing grease in a very light vehicle. Because of the light vehicle, it penetrates very well. I have found it great stuff for delicate work.

Royal Purple makes a spray lubricant that seems to be a thicker and more solid grease with better breakdown characteristics, but the stuff does not penetrate whatsoever. It's almost like a chain lube. I found it pretty much useless because I could never get it into the spots where I needed it, but for heavier work it might be great.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Personally found the white lithium spray grease disappointing - lot of overspray mess, limited lubrication durability. Silicone spray also has very limited lubrication qualities, virtually nil. Can be used as a rubber preservative, but I prefer the small tubes of dielectric grease. Have found TriFlow (Teflon) handy for a variety of uses though wherever a light penetrating lubricant is required.

Reply to
nospampls2002