Stalling Engine

Dear All,

I have a 1990 Chevy Van with a 350 injected engine (120000 miles) which runs fine most of the time but stalls when I pull up to stop for junctions etc. This seems to happen only when the engine is warm. It always starts straight away again and accelerates and runs smoothly otherwise. I have bought the van fairly recently and it has been stood for about a year in a barn. My local repair shop seem to think the distributor may be at fault but I am not convinced. It seems quite an expensive option to me! I would expect it may be something much simpler and cheaper!

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Reply to
Disco-Vanner

You would expect? Or you would HOPE? Clean out the distributor if they think it's the distributor. Don't forget the WD-40! Also, clean all sensors that function with your air intake (ACT sensor, MAF sensor, etc).

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Dufus,

The TBI systems do not have ACT or MAF sensors...................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Sounds like your EGR valve might be sticking. Try this, with the engine at operating temp:

From a dead stop, give it BARELY enough gas to get her rolling while keeping the throttle position consistent. Does it sputter and fart or it it pretty smooth?

Scanned the ECM yet?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Ah.. didn't know that.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

May want to head back to the Ferd group before these guys show you your ass again.

PS: Sounds like you wasted a lot of money in the wrong places in yer Ferd.

Reply to
Eightupman

Yet another troll. ;)

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Doc,

Sounds like you may have something here. When I bought the van, the EGR valve had the vacuum pipe disconnected and a screw stuck in the end of the pipe! It is now re-connected. If it is sticking, is this something I can fix or is a replacement unit the best option?

With reference to the ECM, the mechanic told me not to risk blowing up the unit by shorting the wrong pins to ground and to take it in for them to scan!! I consider myself fairly sensible when it comes to electronics etc. so have planned to wire up a permanent remote jumper or switch to save messing about with jumper wires. I plan to do this when I have tracked down the ECM (only had the van a week!)

Thanks

Disco-Vanner

Reply to
Disco-Vanner

Mike,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Kind regards

Disco-Vanner

Reply to
Disco-Vanner

You OBVIOUSLY have not been around here much. Now go away and fix your pants unless you have something productive to contribute because your ass IS now showing.....Your only saving grace thus far is admitting you did not know something.

Reply to
Eightupman

You could just take it to Autozone or O'Reilly & let them scan for codes for free & not risk harming anything ;). Just a thought!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Disco,

You're thanking him for advising you to clean parts your truck doesn't even have??????

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Disco,

Unplug the EGR vacuum line from the throttle body and use a rubber vacuum cap to cover the port on the TBI. See how she behaves with the EGR disabled. This will illuminate the SES light at crusing speeds and set a code 32 as you have effectively disabled the EGR system.

Regarding jumping the ALDL pins to get the DTC's from the ECM, it's a piece of cake. Use a paperclip or short piece of wire and don't bother with fabricating a switch. Here's a link:

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Lets see...I'd like to take my car in for troubleshooting to a PARTS STORE........That's like going to a pharmacist when you need a surgeon...

Have you thought about going back to alt.ferd yet? Doc is kicking your ass....and I am so enjoying watching it...

Can't you tell how much I like Ferds??

Reply to
Eightupman

Auto Parts stores have the equipment freely available... why not go there? Or are you prejudice against auto parts stores now too just like Fords? Hmm... when will you grow up I do wonder.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Nope not prejudice at all. In fact I like free stuff just like the next guy. I like to borrow specialty tools from there to try them out before I go buy them. Parts stores have thier jobs to do, and do it well. Dealers and reputable repair shops have thier jobs and do it to the best of thier ability. Everyone has their place in the wide world, and yours is in the Ferd forum, where you will probably do very well.

Oh...I'm not the one that mentions "happy kid" in all my posts so careful about all that growing up stuff.

BTW, I would give my left nut for a 1964 Ford Falcon Coupe..OR even rarer Falcon Sprint........mmmm pre-Stang. Ford lost it for me after the REAL muscle car era.

Reply to
Eightupman

Great for you that you are smart enough to take advantage of what's out there. I am happy for you. Really. But you're just wasting your time by bashing my sig. & repeatedly telling me to "go back to the Ferd forum". Btw, it's a newsgroup, not a forum. And yes.. my sigline does mention "a happy kid"... big deal? You need to *act your age* rather than acting like a pissant 4 year old having a tantrum because an outsider is in your turf. Macho man.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Just out of curiosity, seeing as how you're a Ford owner/driver..........................why do you hang out here occasionally? Entertainment? Looking to switch to a Chevy truck perhaps (he he he). You refered to yourself as a troll earlier in this thread, but I wouldn't consider you one of those.................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc,

I _love_ Chevrolet vehicles. I love them as much as I love my own car. I like to occassionally read what you have to say (as well as others) because

*I* learn. My buddy drives a 2000 Chevy S-10 pickup which is why I came here in the first place... and after I got shot down by you, I sucked it up & realized that this group has many intelligent people so I decided to stay & learn something. Hope this makes sense.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

occasionally?

Reply to
<memset

Your reading the right posts then. Doc is one of the best on this "newsgroup" You would be suprised how many people like you come in and "troll" into other newsgroups. If you are here to learn a little something, GREAT...I'm all for it and welcome. That is why I have been here for a couple years now. And yes, I have got my ass shown to me on a few occasions, and I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong.

As for trolls, I LOVE to bash them, and egg them on. You were a great target, and I got you riled very very easily. If you never responded I would have left it alone.

Since you state you are here for legitamate reasons. I will lay off the Ford bashing........ Since I like "A" Ford, and you like Chevys, , we got some common ground.

Truce?

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman