Starting trouble 1995 Chevy G30 Van

I have a 1995 Chevy G30 Van with a 350 v8 and automatic transmission.

It has a new battery - with plenty of charge - all the lights are bright.

When I go to start it up - I hear just one click coming from under the hood - but no starter noise - no grinding - no nothing.

What are the bets - bad starter - bad solenoid - bad connections - all of the above. It does have a lock out and must be in park or neutral normally to start.

Reply to
Harry Everhart

If you're getting the "click" the park-neutral safety switch isn't the culprit. I'd check the connections first, specifically the main ground (negative terminal to block) and the cable from the positive terminal to the starter.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

The dredded G VAN.......Do as Doc stated....Also how much draw is the starter pulling? Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Someone told me to rap on the starter with a hammer. I did that. It started right up. On Monday - I will have a new starter put in.

I cannot find the solenoid on this van. Where is it usually on the 95 Chevy Van? I just sold a 1989 Ford Van that had it right next to the battery.

Reply to
Harry Everhart

It's part of the starter assembley itself.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I> > I cannot find the solenoid on this van. Where is it usually on the

95

Thanks Doc -

When they replace the starter - I will make sure they replace the solenoid too.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

The starter in all likelihood will already have the solenoid in/on it.

99.9% of GM starters are sold "complete" with solenoid as well. It's an integral unit, not like the Fords that have the solenoid mounted to the inner fender. It has it's pros and cons.............the biggest con being a heat-soaked solenoid that doesn't want to cooperate on a summer afternoon!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Tomorrow - I am having the starter replaced. I will tell you how it comes out. It started a few times in the driveway today - but I am not taking a chance. The money is no big deal - and we want to be able to depend on this. Of course - the present starter is 8 years old - and it is time for a change anyway.

See my 1995 Chevy Van Camper here -

Harry Everhart

8-years is about right for a GM starter on a SB or BB.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
Scott

Small block - we found out that the starter - 8 years old - is bad. We are replacing it right now. I was able to start it by rapping the starter with a hammer - and away it went.

Reply to
Harry Everhart

~KJ would have made a starter-starter with a hammer and spring~ ~no wait~ ~JK~

Reply to
KJ

KJ is a f**king idiot...............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

You do know, that JK means Just Kidding, right? Never seen you be this mean.....read the post over carefully.

~KJ not JK~

Reply to
KJ

Doc mean....... nah...... just observant. Bob the roofer

Reply to
Bob

I had a new Bosch starter installed for $200 today. It starts fine now and sounds much better starting than before. No hammer needed. :-)

Thanks everyone on this group for figuring out my problem and helping me.

Reply to
Harry Everhart

How ya been Bob? Haven't seen ya on here for awhile. Just lurking?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Damn, I missed the scratch and dent sale at the Yo-Yo factory.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Oh yea, been in the lurk mode for the most part. Things have been good here, how about you? I was glad to see you got the brake problem on your PU sorted out. Don't you just hate it when you run into a problem that seems to defy all logic? Have a good one. Bob

Reply to
Bob