Steering problem.

Here's the deal:

I have a 82 Chevy stepside, The steering gear box came off the frame, I live in the Rockies and drive a lot of bumpy roads. The bolts pulled thru the frame. I got it back on and need to replace the rag joint. The steering is way off. I turn the wheel a 1/4 turn to get anything from the wheels. So! How does one adjust this? Is it the nut and hex bolt on the box?

I'm not a mechanic, I'm a house builder. :-)

Reply to
Lamey

======== ========

WTF'k is a "Rag Joint"???

anywhoooo

ANSWERS..... to yer Questions.......

Question #1: Find out what's causing it..and fix it.

Question #2: Possibly.

Explanation of answers available upon satisfactory worded request.

by the way....... my roofs leaking on my house.....what's causing it?? Think it could be the rain?

I'm not a house builder, I'm a mechanic. :)

^ ^ oo L O

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his CrownRoyal....chunks a few more mushrooms in the boiling pot~ ~:~

======= =======

Reply to
Marsh Monster

A mechanic that doesn't know what a rag joint is??? What are you 16?

Reply to
Steve Barker

I thought that was a common problem on the Gm's with 4wd's, or with over sized tires. Something to do with weak welds, or the bolts breaking. How fast were you going? The added stress could have caused additional damage. Does it not have the collision column? Or straight tube to the steering wheel? Maybe that is wore out too.

Reply to
Bill

The rag joint is not adjustable. Replacing it isn't difficult. Get a new one (about $15) and you'll see what you need to remove from the old one. However, if you pulled the steering box off the frame, I would triple check your reattachment as the frame may now be flexing as a result of pulling the bolts out. I've seen braces you can get to beef up the mounting point for the steering box.

Are you saying the front wheels don't turn until you turn the steering wheel

1/4 turn? If you hold the steering wheel straight do the front wheels turn left or right? If you have that much slop, I doubt it's the rag joint (or at least not the only problem). You may need to lift the front tires, secure the steering wheel so it doesn't turn (2 pieces of rope on opposite sides of the steering wheel pulled tight through the front doors and close the doors on the rope usually works), then push and/or pull the front wheels left and right while looking at the steering components to see what is lose. I had to do this several times before I found all the week components - the worst was easy to see (rag joint), replace it, then the next worse (drag link ends) became visible, etc.
Reply to
Ed H.

I'm a mechanic and will gladly buy you a brand new Chevy if you'll build my house :)

Reply to
Bob

You're no mechanic if you don't understand "ragjoint".

Reply to
Battleax

LOL

Reply to