Steering Question/ Can Any One Figure This One Out?

97 1500 W/T - I've had the truck since it was almost new and it never felt right. The Steering is rather light - to easy to turn. It likes to wander left to right and back again, over correcting itself. The best single word to describe it is that it waggles. With age it gotten worst. It's much worst when pulling a trailer but better when there's a load in the bed. I've had the frond end aliened and checked and was told it looks OK, but I know better. It has new tires.

Ideas and Input appreciated.

RC

Reply to
Wishing Fishing

single word

I suppose you've already done this, but stand next to your truck with the window open and the wheels straight. Slowly move the steering wheel back and forth and observe how much play there is in the linkage to the wheels. I bet you will find there is quite a bit. If so then have some other shop sheck the front end again and address the problem. It could be many things, but a worn center link comes to mind.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Does your truck have a power steering control module on the steering column?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

It has power steering. I tried checking the play working the steering from out side but it did not appear excessive, but mind is not the trained eye. Thanks guys, I'll try having the center link checked.

RC

Reply to
RC

I'd check the Idler Arm. Those seem to be the first thing to wear out. It's attached to the Center Link on the passenger side.

Reply to
JBDragon

Believe it or not this sounds odd but worn ball joints in the front will cause this problem to. Have them checked that may be the problem.

nick

Reply to
NickHanson