Storage Facility giving away vintage car .. No Title ?? Legal? Options?

I'm about 40 miles away from Jacksonville Florida. Some neighbor of mine says some storage facility downtown has a vintage musle car in great shape they are giving away to whomever can tow it out of their way.

It's going to cost me about $100 to tow it to my house. Legally, can they give me the truck? I presume they've tried to contact the owner to no avail. They are telling him the state is not listing the VIN as stolen (so what).

The car won't start. What happens if I tow it home with no Title and run the VIN and find out John Doe in Jacksonville or elsewhere is the legal owner? What if I contact him and he wan't his car back? What if I can't reach him, how do I proceed with the state of Florida to make the car legally mine? Was the car ever the storage's places car to give away if they did not follow some state procedure to claim it? I plan to take it home and ask questions later... but just wondering.

All this reminds me of something that happen to me when I was 20yo. I had purchased a brand new Truck and a month later while it was parked in the corner some drunk driver totalled it. The insurance company covered it handsomely and let me keep the truck, which basically needed a new bed and to have the rear axel and chassic bent straight. I was told, the state would not let me register the truck. I took the bed off and put a junkyard axel on it.. and had it drivable for about $150. Kinda stupid, but I sold it for $1800 not knowing how to get a rebuilt title for it. I'm sure it was worth much more as the engine did not have 3000 miles on it.

Reply to
jc

Its not your car. Its going to have to go to auction legally for non payment of storage fees. The storage facility is trying to save themselves the hassle of getting rid of it legally. Then rent out the bay. The owner can come looking and storage can tell them you have it. Or they can file a stolen vehicle report. And the storage facility can claim it was stolen too. What if the storage facility operator and the car owner are friends?? And this is how theyre going to get the car back without paying the past due storage fees. Or anyone losing his job. Claim it was stolen and repossess it from you. Its about who has the money or title to get it legally. You got no legal grounds unless you get a bill of sale . Taking possession is foolish . Unless you can scrap the car or get a title.

Reply to
None4U

I wonder what the storage place is trying to do. They could easily have it impounded and let the tow truck company handle this who is already in this business .. afterall they are just getting rid of it. It just sounds odd. I'm tempted to hold it during the process at a friends house. Legal or not, somebody is going to claim it.

Not sure I understand the auction piece. Doesn't the storage place legally take ownership of unclaimed items? Who exactly handles getting it to auction?

I'm not so sure it that cut and dry.

But I do agree they can't give it to me unless they own it.

Reply to
jc

I've got nothing but time on this one.

Reply to
jc

Storage facilities take possession of contents for non payment and sell the items. Its in the contract you sign. They mail bills off to the owner. Usually after 3 months or less, of no reply they sell the contents . They want the car gone so they can rent the bay. Theyre not going to pay to have a car impounded. When they cant collect rent on it already. Whats odd about it. If you take it , its your problem, not theirs anymore. They dont care about that car, or who gets it. They want their rent from whoever will pay. And items gone from deadbeat renters. So they can rent the bay. Its business.

Reply to
None4U

I'm not sure, but I don't think towing companies charge to pick up and impound cars that are illegally parked or abandoned - in fact many pay up to $500 for junk cars. They for sure are in the business of taking ownership of unclaimed property, and are probably very familiar with the process of getting a title from the State, when an owner and title cannot be found. I'm sure the process is a pain in the neck very lengthy. Something for sure is suspicious, but I'm on my way over there .. if for no other reason out of curiousty. Going to take some pics, grab the VIN and call the DMV.

Thanks.

Reply to
jc

So pay a dollar as consideration and get a receipt.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

I think the storage facility would first have to be granted ownership through the court. But that probably costs more than they are willing to invest at this point. They just want it to come up missing so they don't have to deal with it.

I do however think they could have it towed for unauthorized parking on their property. Perhaps the law in their state will not allow it.

Reply to
Tim

Or it may be quite simple. I suppose it will depend on the state statutes where it is title and stored. I have over the years found myself in possession of a truck and a motorcycle which I "legally" possessed but did not have a title for. In both cases I went to the DMV and got the address of the last owner. I then sent a certified return receipt requested letter to that address requesting that the owner send me the title and explaining how I came to be in possession of the vehicle. In my cases both times I received an unopened letter back. Then I went to an insurance company and paid for a title bond. With the title bond and the returned letter in my possession I went to the DMV an received a bonded title. I was told there is a limit in time after that during which you can not sell the vehicle, but that was not an issue for me in either case. The truck went right to work with minimum service required, and the motorcycle was actually just a frame for a project I was building. I think the whole process on the truck took a little over a week.

If the storage facility is willing to work with you then you could see if there is a process like this in your state. Warning. It may not even apply. Maybe (purely for conversation) one of the attorneys here will step and say it is not a good idea because of the contract between the owner and the storage facility. ie. Would it then become stolen property if they do not auction it off per their contract.

My experiences listed above are from Arizona.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

It will cost them to have it towed. The other illegal option would be to tow it to the street and abandon it.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

I have had a number of abandoned cars towed from my parking lot without charge. I just have to sign an authorization form claiming the vehicle is abandoned, and they go to the city impound lot. There is a legal process whereby if they are not claimed in so many days, they can be sold for storage.

My guess is the storage facility could either claim it abandoned and have it towed to impound, or file a small claims action forcing the owner to either pay their storage or forfeit the vehicle. If so, the court order would allow them to claim title to the vehicle. I assume they would rather give the vehicle away, than take the action. But someone that accepted the vehicle as a gift from the storage facility would not have the same option.

It might be possible however, for someone to get the storage facility to sign a notarized transfer document, transferring their rights to an individual willing to take the court action, but only a lawyer in that state could say for sure.

Perhaps the storage facility failed to get the proper forms signed before renting the space, or has discovered the vehicle belongs to a friend (or non signing party) of the renter. This could complicate things a bit, but it still shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks to fix it. Question is, what is the value of the subject vehicle?

Reply to
Tim

This is going to vary by state......... I've done this type of thing here in MI, with a motorcycle. An old Yamaha was left at a rental house and the owner of the house wanted it gone. He gave it away on the local Freecycle list....... either that or he was going to puch it into a dumpster. The Secretary of State (DMV) had me fill out a form telling them how I came to have the bike...... basically as long as someone gave it to me, and it didn't come back as stolen when they checked the vin, they were fine with it, and issued a title.

The problem was that I had to talk to the correct person at the SoS...... the first person I talked to I used the word "abandoned" which was a huge mistake. "Abandoned" has a specific legal meaning and I could not get that person away from that meaning........ I used the word in it's everyday non-legal sense.

Reply to
Chad Fernandez