Strange belt tensioner?

I have a '99 Suburban with the 454 (7.4L) engine and the belt needs replacement. Looking at the service manual, I am confused. The manual shows a tensioner on a pulley arm. My vehicle has a tensioner mounted on the rim of a disk (?) that in turn is bolted to the engine. It looks like to get the belt off I should rotate the disk clockwise. But it looks like a special tool may be needed to do that. There is no square hole for a socket wrench.

The tensioner on the vehicle has the correct part number 10237275 for this part on a 7.4L engine, but I have not found a photo or diagram of it online.

What is this strange kind of tensioner called? Do you recognize it from my description? Can you find a picture of it? Do you know how to work it?

TIA,

Una

Reply to
Una

Una wrote: > I have a '99 Suburban with the 454 (7.4L) engine and the belt needs > replacement. Looking at the service manual, I am confused. The manual > shows a tensioner on a pulley arm. My vehicle has a tensioner mounted > on the rim of a disk (?) that in turn is bolted to the engine. It > looks like to get the belt off I should rotate the disk clockwise. > But it looks like a special tool may be needed to do that. There is > no square hole for a socket wrench. >

Take another look. The tensioner is left of center looking at the engine. 3/4 of the way down the arm there is a 3/8 ratchet insert square. It turns counter-clockwise to loosen the belt.

Reply to
sticks

Here is a photo:

I guess put a long-arm wrench on the hex bolt on the pulley (roller), the arm of the wrench crossing the axis of the anchoring part of the tensioner, and crank it clockwise?

Una

Reply to
Una