strange tail light problems

hi everyone,

I have a 1989 chevrolet k 1500 4x4 truck. Had some work done on the box recently (it was removed) and when i got it back my tail lights havent been working properly. I have both running lights, when i hit the brakes, the driver side light works but the reverse lights come on (only 1 of them), the other side has no brake light at all. When i put it in reverse, no reverse lights work at all lol. I checked the wiring underneath. everything appears to be wired up (none loose or anyhting) and the ground appears to be ok. any ideas what the hell is causing this to happen??

Reply to
thirdeye

I would check for continuity from the socket to the bulb. There are metal steel strips that connect the light socket of the taillight to the bulb socket. I had the taillight act funny on my old 89 and found that one of the straps had corroded through and creating a broken circuit. I ended up rebuilding the strip a using copper solder remover braid.

R> hi everyone,

Reply to
Ronald Thompson

You have a bad ground in the passenger side tail lamp socket. If you're saying that light is going out when you hit the brakes. I would double check all the grounds. If they look good in the back check for ground between the bed and the frame.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Sounds like my problem could be a combination of both. I was thinking of completely re-wiring my harness (cutting off old wiring and replacing it with new) to rule out the possibility of a bad ground or exposed wire. If i'm still having problems then I'm guessing maybe my tail light circuits could be bad?

-M

Reply to
thirdeye

I've only heard about one similar case of what you described. The polarity became reversed on the tail lights and the only way to correct it was to cross the polarity at the battery itself by changing positive cable to negative post and vice versa. If this doesn't correct it, then get in the car and fire the ignition while the cables are switched. Hopefully that will fix it.

Reply to
Gene Long

And watch most of the electronics in the truck FRY when you try to hook up the battery in reverse.

I would disconnect the harness for the tail lights and use a wiring diagram to apply 12 volts direct from the battery (or another one) to the wiring and see if they work then. OR if a shop did the work take it to them and explain the problem. If they stand behind their work they should repair the problem.

Reply to
Steve W.