Stumble at idle after ABS engages

89 K3500 7.4 th400 with abs, just replaced the module when I got the truck, abs does seem to be working. The problem is after the abs kicks on the truck will start stumbling at idle, it doesn't stall but sounds like it wants to. After I go at normal speed for a few minutes(anywhere from 30mph on up) it goes away. The truck runs/idles fine other than that, just had a tune up. Any ideas?
Reply to
89GMC

May not be ABS related but a vacuum issue. Your vacuum booster may be trying to tell you something. Put a vacuum gage on that you can read while driving and hit the brakes and then see how long it takes to recover vacuum.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Start checking vacuum lines, 17 year old truck. especially the one going from the PCV to the base of the throttle body at the throttle body, as well as the large line going from the vacuum tee to the cruise control.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I don't see any vacuum lines running to the brakes. There are lines running to the power steering pump though, I busted out my service manual and it confirms that there were two types, one with vacuum boost and one with hydro boost... guess I got the hydro. Could it be the power steering pump trying to recover pressure causing this? It's really odd... BTW the vacuum tips were helpful anyway b/c although I've been through and replaced them before, when I double checked I found another real brittle one that snapped in my hand, so one less thing to deal with down the road....

Reply to
89GMC

Ok you have hydroboast system. key off pump the brakes untill the pedal gets hard and count how many pumps it takes. Could be the "accumulator" is not holding enough pressure. Have you had any problems with fluid loss from the power steering system?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning