Suburban Battery Connections??

I have a problem on a 97 Suburban. The +ve terminal is reluctant to tighten down and stay tight. The truck still has the original copper ended cables with the lead disc between them. I think the best thing to do is to replace the cables with the lead type ends. The one to the fuse box is easy but the cable that runs to the starter looks a pain to change. It also needs to be protected from the heat of the exhaust using metallic tape. Does anyone know the length this cable needs to be - I think it will have to be in the region of 55 to 60 inches.

Thanks for any info

Reply to
Doug Abbott

Assuming this is a side post battery...

Changing the battery cables may not solve your problem.

From your description, the threads inside the battery are stripped. I'm not sure how to fix it besides replacing the battery. But some of the other posters will have ideas that may help.

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

DO AWAY WITH BATTERY BOLTS WITH THE SMALL HEAD AND SWITCH STD STAINLESS BOLTS AND USE A LOCK NUT, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MAKE THEM TO LONG OR YOU WILL PUT THE BOLT IN THE BATTERY. HAD THIS FOR YEARS. ALSO MUCH EASIER TO BOOST BATTERY DUE TO THE BIGGER HEAD

Reply to
pedro

[...]

We REALLY needed FOUR yelling replies? Turn off caps-lock, it's VERY difficult to read, and is also considered yelling in the online world...

Reply to
Mike Levy

It is an easy matter to re-tap to a larger size. A Heli-coil might work also. Be very careful on your depth though as you don't want to puncture the metal that lets the acid out. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Hello,

  1. Buy a couple of 3/8" x 1-1/4" bolts with nuts
  2. Strip the rubber/plastic covering on the battery cable (only enough for the nut to make full-faced contact)
  3. Use a wire brush to clean/polish the battery terminal face, the both sides of the battery cable end
  4. Thread the nut all the way into the 3/8" x 1" bolt
  5. Slip the flat battery cable end over the nut-bolt assembly
  6. Thread the bolt into the battery terminal "FINGER-TIGHT" only
  7. Use one wrench to hold the bolt head to keep it from turning, then use another wrench to turn/tighten the nut against the battery cable end against the battery terminal (If you need to re-tap the battery terminal, use the appropriate-sized nut/bolt)

Above was from an article on 62-65-dieselpage.com. Did the mod on the dual batteries on our two Chevy diesel SUVs. Good luck.

Franko

Reply to
Franko

Before you flip your wig, I posted my comment once. Don't care what is called. What Google did with it is not my problem. Hope he sorts out his problem,thats more important than your comments is it not.Rain on someone else's parade, Thank you

Reply to
pedro