Suburban Front Wheel Bearing $$$

One of my old students happened by my Autoshop asking me to lift his rig (02 Suburban 2wd) and see what is making the rum-rum noise. After looking at pads and rotors which were in good shape I grabbed the right front wheel and got about 1/4 inch play while rocking to to bottom. Ron boy, your wheel bearing is toast I said. He said how much? I called NAPA no listing which was the same for all the other retailers. Called local Chevy dealer, $350.00 for the hub assembly. The parts guy made the comment that the wheel speed sensor came with it. Whoppee! When I was his age (23) a spindle type wheel bearing set would have been out the door for $25 and change. Poor kid, working stiff with 3 kids has to drop 350 for some idiot of an engineer who tried to design a better wheel bearing system.

Reply to
Dan Calhoun

The new Chevs and GMCs are junk. These are 6 year vehicles, they're just junk.

Reply to
Battleax

That happened on a van I had... a 1991... had to buy the entire hub assembly w/speed sensor... couldn't buy just the bearings... I was pissed but what ya gonna do? Gotta have it to drive...

Reply to
websurfer

Must have been one of those over sized front wheel drive station wagons because the G series used standard bearings those years. As to Battleax, there is most likely a toyota dealer just down the road from you, don't let the door hit you on the way out, and don't cry when you find they break as often or more than the GM line. I change very few hub bearings, as compared to wheel bearings. Perhaps if owners had followed some simple maintenance like repacking the damn things once in awhile we wouldn't have hub bearings. On the other hand, with the advent of independent front suspension on 4x4s now (another thing brought about by cry babies who should have bought a car instead of a truck) the front suspension parts are the same 4x2 or 4x4, less parts to carry = less cost incurred by any manufacturer. The same set up is used on fords and dodge.

Reply to
Whitelightning

Heh Heh... it was in fact an AWD Astro van... oversized station wagon for sure... but I put well over 200k miles on that thing before I gave it away... no complaints to speak of overall the 14 years I drove the crap out of it...

Reply to
websurfer