Suburban push button transmission question

I have test driven a few suburbans which have the push button transfer case shifting mechanism. In each case I was frustrated by never really knowing when I was in two wheel or 4 wheel drive.

There are lights on or off or blinking and I always wondered what gear we were in, and, most significantly, the owners who sat beside me weren't really sure either.

What is this new fangled confusion and how is one to know in which gear the car is???

Uwe

Reply to
Jaggy Taggy

"Jaggy Taggy" wrote: > I have test driven a few suburbans which have the push button > transfer case > shifting mechanism. In each case I was frustrated by never > really knowing > when I was in two wheel or 4 wheel drive. > > There are lights on or off or blinking and I always wondered > what gear we > were in, and, most significantly, the owners who sat beside me > weren't > really sure either. > > What is this new fangled confusion and how is one to know in > which gear the > car is??? > > Uwe

When it is blinking it has not engaged yet (or disengaged) and I myself do not care for that setup as they tend to be trouble prone when they get a few years old. They are trying to make it as much of a no brainer as possible to appeal to people that would not buy a 4wd otherwise. Myself, I am old fashsioned and I want to know when it is shifted in and out and I want to manually do it myself.

Reply to
SnoMan

That was my take on it, if it is still blinking it hasn't switched yet. And often it blinked and apparently never switched, after a while the blinking stopped, and then you wonder in which gear am I now???

I guess I am going to look for Suburbans prior to this troublesome feature...

Uwe

Reply to
Jaggy Taggy

It's really straight forward and laid out in the owners manual. You can switch between 2WD and 4-Hi any time. To go into 4-low you need to be going under 5 mph and the transmission needs to go into neutral. The only time I see the blinking light is when I go into 4-low. It will blink until I stop and put the transmission into neutral. I have a 97 Yukon and haven't had any problems with the buttons. Glenn

Reply to
GlennB

They still make them with the floor shift because I have seen a few

05?s with them but it does seem that fewer are being ordered for stock with the manual shift system in them.
Reply to
SnoMan

"GlennB" wrote: > Jaggy Taggy wrote: > > On 6/14/05 3:36 PM, in article > > 1_606136 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, "SnoMan" > > < snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com> wrote: > > > > >  >>"Jaggy Taggy" wrote: >  >>

If you use it occasionally you will not have much trouble but on my plow trucks I might shift in and out of 4wd 20 to 30 times a day when I am busy and they well not last long in that kind of service.

Reply to
SnoMan

Can't argue with that. I use 4WD only about 5 or 6 times a year while moving my Trailer. Glenn

Reply to
GlennB