Suburban rear door problem

Help! I have a '91 Suburban and the rear (as in the tail of the car, not the back doors) door will not open. It's one of the side-by-side models, and the button on the door handle popped out. Now I cannot open the door. I have reinserted the button, but it does not re-engage whatever it had been previously clipped to. I think I have to remove the inside door panels in order to get access to the locking mechanism, etc., but in order to do so the door must be open. There is not easy access to screws with the door closed, and it looks like parts of the car (interior ceiling, esp.) would block panel removal even if all the screws were out.

Can't open the door without removing the panel. Can't remove the panel without opening the door.

I have contemplated knocking the pins out of the hinges, which are easily accessible, but I am reluctant to do so unless it's my last resort. I have a Suburban on-vehicle shop manual and there is nothing in it about knocking out the pins so I'm holding off in case someone has a better idea.

Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

You have the EXACT problem I had!

Insert the door key into the lock, get a long narrow screw driver(small enough to go through the hole, turn the key to where the door unlocks and push the screwdriver in pushing the unlatch paddle!

I have had this happen twice! DONT get a used handle!!! Get a new one from the dealer, LMC, wherever...but get a NEW one.

Reply to
Shades

Howdy, Shades. I bought a new handle (Internet, not dealer). I have peered into the place where the button used to fit, and through the hole the pin fits into. I don't see anything behind it to push against other than the inside of the door. I'll take another peek, just to see if I missed it the first time. Thanks for the feedback. Bob

Reply to
Bob

There is a paddle type thing that comes into line when the door is unlocked, if its not in line, its not unlocked...if it is unlocked...umm...lemme know how it goes...

Reply to
Shades

Shades: Bingo. That did the trick. Door now back in proper operating condition. Thanks a bunch. Bob

Reply to
Bob

NP Buddy! Glad I could help!

Reply to