Suburban Speed Sensitive Steering

I purchased a used 2002 Suburban 1500 4x4. Is there a way to visually determine if this vehicle has the Speed-Sensitive Steering option? I'm having some power steering issues, with very hard resistance to a right turn for the first mile or so of operation in the morning. It is more pronounced at speeds between about 15 to 30 mph, negliable at very slow speed or stopped. Once driven, and cycled left/right a few times it operates normally. Dealer cannot seem to find the problem. I'm trying to use process of elimination before just changing the power steering gearbox. (I doubt if it is the pump, because the problem is always a right turn and always within a speed range, and the pump itself should not care.)

Any help on the speed sensitive steering system, or the above problem very greatly appreciated.

HHatcher

Reply to
H.Hatcher

Look under the dash at the steering shaft. There should be an exciter ring ( a disc with holes in it ) and a pickup straddling it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Strike that reply. I was thinking of variable assist.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The owners manual refers to it as Speed-Sensitive Steering, but I would think that variable assist is what it does. According to the manual, this option makes steering easier at low speeds and as the speed increases, the steerign effort increases.

I assume there has to be a speed sensor and then some kind of input to the gearbox or steering system somewhere.

Trying to narrow vexing problem to as small a range of possibles as I can. Thanks for the input.

Steve Barker wrote:

Reply to
H.Hatcher

Now on a Ford, the "valve" so to speak is in the high pressure line just off the pump. Has a couple of wires attached to it. If you find such a thing, you might try unplugging it. (for diagnosis purposes)

Reply to
Steve Barker

I do have the exciter ring surrounding the steering column. I do not see any connections at the steering gear or the pump. Still cannot figur out how this system works, ie, changes the feel of the steering at different speeds. HH

Reply to
H.Hatcher