sudden loss of Power S-10

I have a isuzu hombre which is actually a chevy s-10 not much action in the isuzu group so thought I would try here

Today I suddenly have no real power from my engine. When I left home for about a 40 mile round trip everything was fine. On my way back I realized I was not getting much power to the wheels.

No strange sounds, no smells, starts right up and sound fine while parked. when I take off, I notice even though the engine is winding out, it seems to be having a hard time, like not getting enough gas.

Could this be a dirty fuel filter. it is a 1996 4 cylinder, fuel injected engine. just change out the Clutch a year ago, so can't be slipping now.

any ideas? thanks in advance

Reply to
Helaman

You say it is winding out, you mean revving up? Isuzu are notorious for transmissions going into slip mode. Has to do with electronics, computer and the alternator spiking. If it *is* the trans it usually resets if you turn the engine off and then back on again.

Reply to
F.H.

He said he replaced the clutch so I'm guessing it's a manual transmission.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

LOL, good guess. The pitfalls of Evelyn Wood.

Reply to
F.H.

Did you also replace the pressure plate? If you replaced the clutch because it really needed it before that pressure plate probably got really hot and weakened the springs. If I replace one I always replace both. Actually... all three. Clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing.

Also, is it a cable operated clutch? If cable it might not have been adjusted right when you re-installed, and its finally slipped and burned off to the point where it has become a problem.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks for answering so quickly.

Yes, it is a manual transmission. This morning I had to take my son to school. I noticed and he noticed how the exhaust sounds different. He said it sounded more like a Honda civic. It sounds more racy, if it always sounded that way, it would be nice.

Also, It seems to sputtering went trying to get up to speed going through the gears.

I am wondering if the exhaust/cat could be restricted (falling apart) I use to hear a bit of rattling which I thought was just a loose piece of sheet metal underneath the truck, I notice now there is no more rattling.

I guess i could drop the muffler just to test how it drives with it disconnected.

Reply to
Helaman

sounds like a plugged cat to me. Does it make a sort of hissing sound too? A good muffler shop can test the back pressure before and after the cat to see if its plugged.

Reply to
ScottM

Sounds like the cat may have come apart, or a baffle came loose in the muffler.

Reply to
Steve W.

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:59:28 -0500, "Steve W."

That's what happened to my old S-10. I had to put on a new cat. The ceramic cracked and fell apart inside. There was hardly any exhaust pressure coming out. You could put your hand behind the pipe, and hardly feel anything.

Reply to
4546

If you stomp on it in 3rd gear do your revs go up like the clutch is slipping? If not you might have fuel delivery problems. Start with a new filter.

Reply to
Meat Plow

no, actually sound a little like it is struggling to get some gas. I will check the filters first today.

It would easier if it just didn't run...fix the problem until it runs...lol

Reply to
Helaman

Oh and a clogged cat can do the same. If it had been rattling it could break up inside and clog the exhaust. I've seen that happen on Chevy S-10 in my friends muffler shop. Even if it hadn't been rattling, it could break apart and clog the outlet of the cat or travel down stream and clog somewhere else.

Reply to
Meat Plow

That's what happened to my 91 S-10 7 years ago. I sold it 2 years ago to a kid, who is using it for parts, or to make a low rider. I was driving past a senior citizens community, and little old lady's were passing me. It had no power!! I was lucky it didn't blow.

Reply to
4546

ok, the answer is a bad cat converter.

I dropped the converter and everything was back to normal other than sounding like a speed boat out of water...lol

apparently my cat converter is wasted.

Thanks for the help

Helaman

Reply to
Helaman

Per my other post, that is a common problem. If you can stand the noise and have no emissions testing in your area just run it without a cat. The cat is responsible for a big part of reducing the exhaust noise. OEM replacements aren't that expensive.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Replace the cat. Regardless of testing in your area. It makes it quieter, less polluting and not in violation of federal emissions tampering laws.

Reply to
Steve W.