Swapping open for limited-slip differential?

I've got a 2000 siverado, 3.42 gears, open differential. (2wd). I recently bought a boat, and really wish I had opted for the limited slip differential now. I believe the gm code is G80 for this option.

Question- I wish to keep the 3.42 gear ratio, but would like to put in a G80 differential. Has anyone done this? Would I need a new ring gear or other parts to accomodate the swap? I'm a shade tree mechanic and can follow instructions with the best of them, but I don't have anything to go by in my manuals for this situation. Thanks guys.

Chris

Reply to
chris

The ring gear and pinion gear can be reused. You'll need (in addition to a new LSD) two new carrier side bearings (cone & cup) and an assortment of shims to set the back lash and bearing preload correctly. I'd replace the axle seals as long as you've got the axles out anyway. New fluid naturally and the correct friction modifier additive for the LSD. For tools, you'll need the basic wrenches, sockets, etc. a dial indicator and a torque wrench that is capable of torquing left hand thread bolts. You'll need a way to press the new carrier bearings onto the new differential and you'll need a way to evenly heat the old ring gear to sweat it onto the new differential.

If you're not familiar with the proper procedures to set up rear axle gears, you're better off having a professional do it.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Is the G80 a true limited slip?? I've known it (perhaps incorrectly) as an automatic locker that uses gearing to perform lockup. My understanding was that limited slip diffs use clutch packs.

I understand that the desired effect would be the same...to get traction to the wheel that's not spinning. But I thought the difference was in the way that it's accomplished.

I've heard only bad things about the G80, and it was the cause of my rear axle failure. From all I've heard and experienced, when one wheel slips, the other engages quickly and violently, and that damage can occur if this happens repeatedly (or just once if hard enough) on snow or ice or something else really slippery.

Just based on that, if I were to install another auto-locking device for towing or otherwise, I'd prefer any other make/model of locker over the G80.

But I suppose I'm spooked about their reliability now... :-(

BTW, shouldn't a selectable locker work using the existing carrier? Personally, that'd be my first choice.

~jp

aarcuda69062 wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

these replace your spider gears without having to do anything to your ring and pinion.Any shadetree can install one of these very quickly in the driveway with common hand tools.

digitalmaster

Thanks for the advice- a day ago a friend recommended the powertrax so I've been looking at the powertrax no-slip option -- since the lockright seems too extreme for my usage (I just need it to lock when coming up a wet boat ramp, no off-roading)- but there seems to be mixed reviews of it online in forums, along with the g80. As in, both can grenade in a heartbeat, of course w/no fault of the driver (I love forums). I've also seen folks praise both powetrax and the g80...

I don't want to spend the money for a detroit locker or eaton, my 5.3L is stock, roughly 300/300 HP/TQ so I don't think I'd overpower the powertrax no-slip. Anybody on this forum have experience with the powertrax no-slip?

Chris

digitalmaster wrote:

Reply to
chris

I had a powertrax lock rite in my s10 and didn't have any problems with it, yea I heard the little bit of clunking when the ratchets worked around corners but it was nice to always be locked. My 04 silverado has the g80 and it takes too long for it to lock, I;ve slipped the tires on small hills. I've been thinking about one of those electric lockers, put a little switch somewhere and hit it when I need it.

Reply to
Eugene Nine