T-Case into neutral ?

I have a 97 Jimmy 4x4. The transfer case switch is the three button on the dash with 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo. I need to get it to go into neutral to flat tow it. The owners manual has nothing in it on how to do that. Can the T-case be shifted into neutral? TIA GM

Reply to
GM

If it's like my Z71 Avalanche, you must put the transmission in N before shifting the transfer case into neutral. Trying it in Park won't do it. It took me a while to figure this one out, and it turned out it was in the manual. I think this is a common GM transfer case design thing, even though my '04 Z71 has an NP246 AutoTrac case and your 97 Jimmy will be an NP233.

Reply to
Augustus

Well I found the answer to my own question after researching (its called googling). GM Service bulletin # 00-00-89-008F dated August 2006 reference to towing, There is a section in there on vehicle combination / transfer case , "T Trucks equipped with an optional electric shift 233 transfer case, RPO NP1, no neutral position". I checked the dash code list and I have the durn NP1 option. Well that certainly sucks!

TIA GM

Reply to
GM