Take seat cover off on '03 S-10

Hi all!

Took some time, but I made a food mess on the driver's side seat cover. I can't find seat covers any where local, so that's why I didn't have any...

Now, is it possible to take the seat cover off, throw it in the washer and put it back on again...all without destroying the seat? (I fear that an automotive seat cleaner won't get dried donut "goo" out...)

Anybody here have some real world experience?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

A good cleaning with a wet vacuum/steam cleaner should do the trick. You could either take it to a good detailer for this or try taking your truck into a car wash with some of those nice big vacuums. Treat the affected area with a good store bought cleaner (3M, etc). Then vacuum the spots up. You may want to follow up the wet treatment with some baking powder. Let it sit for a few minutes to absorb the excess wetness and then vacuum again. Most cleaners fight mildew but the baking powder will also help dry the seat cover.

Removing the seat cover is a painful job and from what I remember would require breaking stitches and resewing. It would take hours. I can't see that it would be worth the trouble when the spots can be treated while the cover is on the seat. If the substance went through the cover then it would be in the foam material under the seat and washing would not help anyway.

Once you get done with this.... treat the seats with a good fabric protectant.

I looked at the seat once as I added some foam to the back butt area of the seat. Makes all the difference in older seats.

Reply to
Todd Copeland