Taller tires - computer recalibration

You figure out height using the top, not the middle.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

How do you figure that?

I run BFG tires and have checked out lots of other makers and 'all' of them give the height or diameter in their charts.

Reality time here.

So to figure out the circumference all you have to do is multiply the diameter by PI or 3.14.

What could be more simple?

I 'Really' don't understand why folks want to take the diameter that the tire makers give you, divide it in half, then use Rx2xPI.

Makes no sense in my mind.

Mike

Chevguy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

because most calculations for speed vs size are based upon 'loaded RADIUS', the distance from the center of the axle to the pavement, with the tires at correct pressure.

which is different from diameter or 'radius' by a good margin (measure it yourself), either with a tape measure, or by calculation speed vs RPM via any of the available formulas, using half the diameter in your calculations, then check it with a GPS

you'll find quite a difference between what you 'should have' and what you actually have

yeah, well..............

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

The circumference of a circle can be calculated using either the radius or the diameter.

C = pi * Diameter

or

C = 2 * pi * Radius

If the ire is approximately 32 inches tall (265/75R16) then:

C = 3.14 x 32 or 100.48 inches traveled for a full revolution

..just my 2 pi worth.

Reply to
Anonymous

And I was merely pointing out that jumping 20 mm in width is not a couple of inches of height as stated earlier.

Reply to
Chevguy

The question was about a speedo recalibration.

If the OP goes to the makers tire charts and gets the given diameter of the two tires in question and uses those diameters to 'compare' the % difference between them, the speedo should be off almost exactly that same percent.

If they want to try and figure the rolling radius of both tires and compare them for percent differences, they will be damn near be the same percent difference as taking the given makers numbers and figuring it that way.

Is that just too simple for folks?

Mike

Mike Romain

The height difference between the two tires I used for comparison is

1.2" period. In my mind, that is a 'lot' taller.

I don't give a shit if one is wider or narrower, that doesn't help the original poster who wants to calibrate his speedo.

He don't care how much clearance extra it will give him, he wants to know how much the speedometer is going to be off.

The formula for circumference is PI X D.

The tire makers give you D.

They do not give you R so you can double it to find D, they give you D. Simple eh?

Forget the fancy metric P ratios, the OP could care less about that, he just wants to know the percent difference between the tires travel or circumference so he knows how much percent the speedo will be off.

Mike

Chevguy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

What's more simple, is that they will tell you #rev's per distance for different sizes. Using the BF site, a vehicle calibrated to 215 75 15 using 235 75 15 will be out 4.18%

message

Reply to
Chevguy

LOL!

Good one.

Mike

Chevguy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

impossible.

================================= No big deal, your speedo will be off a little, and odo too. big woop. :) Hell when it comes time to sell it, it will show less miles than it actually has! :) Or you could buy a programmer for about $400 to change it.

Reply to
Scott M