th400 transmission question.

I have a th400 being driven by a 396. The tranny came off of a 454 originally. It has a floating (spline?), in other words the driveshaft is not bolted into the tranny, this is the way it was originally, it just slides in and the length of the (spline?) is long enough so that there is no way it will come out, it almost bottoms out. The rear end is a dana 60 with 3.54 gears. Question I have is: it whines while accelerating, even if I barely give it gas. When I let off the gas and coast it is quiet. It is not engine rpm related, it does it according to speed. It does not do it until I get to about 20 mph, so it only does it in 2nd and 3rd. I have checked the u-joints, and the tranny fluid was changed with a new filter. It is not slipping and has great torque. Does not shift up and down at will, even if I floor it it will not down-shift unless I am going slow enough. Shifts pretty strong. I turn my head sideways while driving and the ear closer to the front of the truck hears it strongest, so I know it is not the rearend diff. I have put it up on a lift and ran the drivetrain and it does not appear to be wobbly or unbalanced.

I am thinking torque converter or tranny pump.

Ideas?

H.

Reply to
the_Host

Ok I meant to say "Yoke", I knew that but my brain didn't.

in

Reply to
the_Host

if it only whines during pull and not coast, it's probably a worn and misadjusted ring and pinion in the differential.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Sounds like a worn pinion bearing in the rear end.

Can't be the converter since it would vary the sound when you moved the gas pedal. Same with the pump.

Reply to
Steve W.

Well you know it could be. When I got the truck it did whine a bit and the previous owner mentioned something about the rear diff. After I got it on a lift I swapped the fluid. The fluid back there looked like 20 year old hersheys syrup. That may explain why it hits so hard when I put her in reverse. Sounds like it is coming from right underneath me, but it is hard to tell in the cab. Thanks for your time!

Reply to
the_Host

Well that is two of the same opinion!

Thanks man!