thanks all again for your help about the disc brakes

Thanks all again for your help about the disc brakes regarding having the bleeder valve. One thing I learned is that there's many differences of opinions on how things should be done. On a side-bar (outside of this group), another mechanic told me that it was a requirement that the fluid be replaced and the brakes be bleed after replacing the shoes. He said to have the bleeder valve open during the process. But then my friend replaced his wife's car's pads (anti lock) and he did not open the valve and her car worked great afterwards. Seems like nobody can all agree on the same steps.

Since I'm doing this to another car (and just want to play it safe although this sounds paranoid), I'm just going to have the bleeder valve open for the few seconds that I compress the piston and then I'll shut the valve immediately afterwards, replace the pads and then open the valve again and have a little more fluid pumped out. Of course, I'll continue to fill the master cylinder during this process and won't let it run down to get air in the lines. I realize (and take to heart) that it's probobly "not" necessary to open the valve during compression but since it's an easy thing to do and can cause no harm (if opened for 10-15 seconds), it won't hurt and I won't have to worry that I skipped that step.

thanks again so much for all the help.

Reply to
Anon