Thermostat '96 305. 96K

Just bought this truck.

The owner told me he took the thermostat out for longer engine life.

Does this sound funny to you????

Reply to
Robin AndrePont

Yes, No, Maybe, really depends on where you live. Will it add life to your truck, I doubt it (read no), but if you live in a year-round warm climate the thermostat doesn't really do a whole lot.

Big Chris

Rob> Just bought this truck.

Reply to
Big Chris

Unless you live somewhere where the temps never get above 30 or so, figure on overheating problems. One of the things a thermostat does is act as a restrictor slowing the water flow down through the radiator so its in there long enough to transfer heat. At low rpms/low speeds not a major problem, at high rpms/highway speeds a major problem. Also if the engine doesn't reach the proper operating temperature the fuel injection system will stay in open loop, which is like driving a carb engine with the choke on. It also helps the engine reach operating temperature faster. The fix for a stuck thermostat on the side of the road is to pull it out, gut the valve portion, and put just the "disk" back in. What it really sounds like is he "had" a vehicle with an over heating problem that with the cool weather of winter removing the thermostat keeps it from over heating long enough to sell it to someone else. So now you have a vehicle with an overheating problem. Also engineers have long known the hotter you can run an internal combustion engine, the more efficient it becomes. The problem has been pistons melting and burning holes in the tops, different expansion rates of the cylinder walls and the pistons, and a host of other metallurgy related problems. Some of those problems have been solved, and that's why engines run at 220 degrees these days instead of the 160-180 degrees that was tops back in the

70's. Whitelightning
Reply to
Whitelightning

How long is a thermostat supposed to extend to life according to this guy? I have a 96ext cab with a 305. I live in phoenix where it gets damn hot. At most you might want to drop to a lower temp thermostat. you won't gain anything by removing it, unless it's trashed and it needs a new one. I have

155,000 miles on my truck. motor and trany are good.
Reply to
smoove

Hilarious, actually. 'Course, it's not my truck :)

In reality, the owner is either a liar, or an idiot. Now you need to find out which. It's a common (as in not unusual) thing for used car dealers and sellers to either remove the thermostat, or replace it with a 160 unit so the engine doesn't get up to the magic 180 degrees. At that temperature, the engine goes into closed loop operation. So if all the electronics, cat, etc. aren't up to snuff, that's when the check engine light will come on. So, to find out, put the right thermostat in. If it sets a bunch of codes, you've found a liar. If not, you've found an idiot, as removing the thermostat shortens the engine life. Either way, if you haven't paid for the truck yet, or can get out of it, I'd pass on it. He probably did a lot of other things wrong, too, that are going to bite you down the road.

Reply to
John Alt