Thermostat or not thermostat

Check this out. I recently had a new 350 put in my 94 Suburban. I don't think this matters but the motor does have a whipple suppercharger on it. Problem is that even after a new thermostat was put in the temp when the vehicle first starts goes up to about 260. This takes about 5min. The check engine light will come on and about 20sec. later the temp gauge will read the about 190.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? I thought the thermostat might be sticking and put a new one in (not an easy process with the whipple) and the same thing happens.

Reply to
smoove

Vapor lock either at the thermostat or maybe a bad temp sender.

Install a new temp sender and get a new 180degree thermostat...Drill 3-4

1/16th inch holes evenly spaced around the thermostat surface. NOT into the brass housing and NOT too far to the outside where it could cause a leak. The holes will allow air to be released eliminating vapor lock and will also enhance the efficiency of the thermostat.

Reply to
Shades

There is a brand new 160-165 degree thermostat put in last week. The temp does not go as high with the new thermostat, but it does go to about 220 and then drops back down to a normal running temp. I have not had any issues with it stalling or running different. I wish trying the hole driulling as you have recommended was as easy as it should be. Problem there is that the drive for the suppercharger sits directly on top of the thermostat housing. It takes like an hour and a half to get the whipple out and about 2 hours to get it back in.

Reply to
smoove

Reply to
ajtessier

Have fun! LOL

Kidding...

Something to do on that cool calm Sat. with a couple Buddy's and a 12pack.

Reply to
Shades

The thermostat is not sticking, it just takes a while to fully open and that causes the temp to go up. when it opens, the temp goes to the normal range. so relax and just enjoy driving it. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

I asked Whipple for an install manual. It will definately a whole day since I will be drinking a 12 pack. Thanks for the info on drilling the extra holes. A friend of also recommended maybe creating a by pass while I am at.

Reply to
smoove

Reply to
TheSnoMan

I agree with the bigger radiator! A big plus...maybe one of the hi-po all aluminum 2 core radiators? $$$!!! I also agree that 160 is too cold but I would stay away from the 195 due to the increased heat from a pressurized engine...Try the 180 with the air holes and see how that does.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
TheSnoMan

You guys are saying to stay away from the 160, but the superchargers come with a 160 as part of the install kits. Why would MPG increase?

Reply to
smoove

You mean decrease. Energy is developed from the expansion of hot gasses and a cooler motor increases the heat loss from gasses to engine block before the energy is capture and converted to mechanical motion via piston and crank and therefore reducing MPG. They ship with a 160 to help control detenation but if you use good gas (you must use 93 octane with a super) you will not have any problems with a 180.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Reply to
smoove

The Hi-Po 2 core aluminum radiator will cool somewhere from 20-50% better than a factory 4 core!

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
TheSnoMan

I can think of one reason for doing that. If the ECM never sees the engine reach proper operating temp, its going to keep the timing retarded among other things. This thought is assuming no changes were made to ECM. There are chips out there for some that allow using cooler opening thermostats. The thing is the engineers have known for years the higher the operating temperature, the better the fuel burn, which means more power and more fuel economy from the same amount of fuel. Also if they know they can go a little leaner on the fuel mix, again higher temp, better burn, more power, and less fuel means better economy. But back in the old days metallurgy wasn't up to snuff, and high heat caused holes burnt in pistons, pistons crystallizing and shattering, and a host of other problems, Engineers would love to get internal combustion engines running at 300 degrees. Anyways by running cooler, retarding the snot out of the timing, they reduce the chance of detonation, spark knock, engine knock, what ever you want to call it, and the fuel system supplies a bit more fuel when the engine is "cold". I took a quick look but didn't see anything about increasing fuel supply, only lowering boost levels when it sees the O2 sensing lean fuel mix.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

It not hype...its proven fact. But we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Its in the design and its been tried and proven!

Reply to
Shades

Please do not argue with the Snoman! He's an engineer and we all know what a great job they do designing the cars we work on. Heh heh...

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai