Third brake lite

I just bought a camper shell for my 2003 Silverado. It has a third brake lite in it. Is there a wire under the bed somewher that I can connect to. Do I have to run it all the way up to the brake lite switch? If there is a wire what color is it? Any help would be appreciated.

WildBill

Reply to
Valkyrie

Bill:

The closest brake light wire is the rear trailer hitch wire harness.

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

that won't work. he'll have to grab the wire from the factory third light.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Not true on both accounts. A talented person can intercept the wiring and properly connect to either of the existing brake lights. Just parallel the wiring off of the left or right stop light. Most cap installers go to the driver side.

If your vehicle has a trailer harness, you may intercept the wiring there, but that's a bit further to go.

Regardless, pay pr>> Valkyrie wrote:

Reply to
Nightcrawler

Oh, and the obvious thing is that you are not tapping into the third brake light. Unless your vehicle has that annoying flash of the third brake light, it really doesn't matter.

run it all

Reply to
Nightcrawler

I've seen many people tap into the wiring in the Back of the truck Bed, be it the trailer wiring or before that. It's pretty easy. Not a whole lot of wires back there. A Test light and someone that can step ON/OFF the peddle so you can find the right one. A Blue Quick Connect to the wire is about all you need. Basic simple wiring. It's just a brake light, not rocket science.

Reply to
JBDragon

True. My thoughts were mainly on how clean the install is. Both from an electrical/functional and a cosmetic viewpoint.

Reply to
Nightcrawler

More bad advice here. using the "blue quick connect" AKA: scotch lock Will last about 6 months before the wire corrodes in two and then neither the mis-installed third brake lite , NOR the one you broke into will work. No, it's not rocket science. But you do want it to last longer than a rocket and come on when it's supposed to.

Reply to
Steve Barker