Tilt column loose Astro van

Any body fix one of these - 90 Astro with tilt. Just looking through the Chiltons makes it look fairly straight forward, but .... Any tips? tad

Reply to
ottertailfamily

yes

when you reach WAAAAY down in there with a Torx bit on a 1/4" extension.........TAPE IT ON !!!!!!

you haven't lived till you lose one down in there.......................

Reply to
TransSurgeon

================== You will need a pivot pin puller, or make one. You will need the inverted/female torx socket to fit (#8) I think it is. You can get to 3 of the 4 bolts without pulling it all the way apart, but since your going for it, might as well do it it right. Pull the bolts out 1 by one and put blue lock-tight on the threads when you go back with them. If it is your first time it will not be easy, but you can do it.

Reply to
Scott M

Just as an added extra to the previous reply:

Use either the loctite cleaner primer, or an inexpensive and just as effective alternative.

Carbureator cleaner, light spray, followed up by starting fluid. Moderate spray, in the bolt holes. The starting fluid takes out any oily residue the carbureator left behind, and you won't be doing the job a second time!

I hope I added some helpful info.

Refinish King

We all started somewhere, why can't the DIY's do it also?

Reply to
Refinish King

Reply to
ottertailfamily

Also try

Drooler

I have been tightening GM's Saginaw tilt columns for 25 years and a good quarter inch socket will do the job as good as any torx socket. I tighten all 4 bolts, even remove the center column shaft so that everything is out of the way. Jobs takes 30 minutes for an experienced tech, 2 days and hair loss for the inexperienced.

Reply to
Rod WIlliams