Timing chain setup 2.2L 4cyl

I am replacing a timing chain on a 2.2 liter Sonoma 2wd. The timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket looks like a little drill mark. I think this is supposed to line up to the tab on the tensioner. The mark on the cam sprocket is the one Im not clear on. What does the mark look like and does it line up on the top tab on the tensioner? The Haynes is not very clear on this. Wish I had a good pic. This is something that is already apart and I was told when these marks were lined up that the engine would not start but would backfire through the TB. Im wondering if the timing chain setup is wrong or if a valve got bent when it jumped time. Any help is much appreciated.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

It should start even with a bent valve so the timing isn't right. Can't help on the markings

Reply to
Meat Plow

Timing mark on the cam sprocket is on the web between two of the holes. The timing mark on the crank sprocket is a small dot on the tip of one tooth. If you cannot find it make sure the sprocket isn't on backwards. These points will line up with the tabs on the tensioner AND be straight across from each other. Make SURE the tensioner is compressed while you are installing the chain. You push in on the spring and put a pin/nail through the hole to hold it in place.

Reply to
Steve W.

I thought that normally the timing marks lined up with each other (that is 6 o'clock on the cam with 12 o'clock on the crank) but if I read you correctly, that's what you expect to make a backfire. If it's a DOHC 2.2L like my '98 Amigo, which has a GM engine, there are 2 timing marks on each cam and a triangle mark on the front of the block for each cam. The timing mark for the crankshaft (a small notch) lined up with an illusive mark at the very bottom of the block, aka the 6 o'clock position.. Luckily, I got everything aligned on the second try.

Reply to
Ed H.