Tire Size on 89 S-10

My S-10 has some 205/75-14 tires on it now. I bought some OEM alloy wheels (five spoke flat face) that are 15". What's the most common size people put on those that won't change the acceleration abilities too much. I've looked at tire size calculators but was wondering how much "bigger" people go before they start to feel a loss of acceleration abilities.

Reply to
AZGuy

Are these wheels supposed to fit the S-10? You say "OEM" but do not specify "S-10/Sonoma OEM."

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. It means anything produced by the same manufacturer as produced the wheels your truck was sold with new. It does not automatically imply "compatible".

OE is Original Equipment and means it was on the option list for the vehicle when new.

A "flat faced" wheel typically has an offset suitable for front wheel drive and not what your S-10 will expect.

If your new wheels are as I suspect then they may not clear the suspension. Then if they do clear the suspension the result will be a narrower track and less stability.

When my Sonoma was new I often lusted for the Sears/NTB wheels which were constantly on sale for $200 to $300 for a set of 4. Very few of the wheels they offered on sale had suitable offset for my Sonoma. I'm learning to love my OE 15" steel wheels and sometimes consider buying a set of chrome rings to dress it up.

Reply to
David Kelly

They are used OEM alloy wheels from a 4x4 S-10.

Reply to
AZGuy

======================== Stock 2WD is 205/75/15 I think. I went with 215/75/15 on my Sonoma. Speedo if off about 2mph. 4WD wheels have a different offset I think. You didnt say if the truck was 4WD or not??? You could go quite a bit bigger I think without worrying about "acceleration abilities" Well, 33" monster mudders might be a problem :)

Reply to
Scott M

Same year as yours? You have a 4x4? Axles and suspension is different on

4x4's and wheels may not fit a 4x2. All the Sonoma/S-10 4x4's I have seen have a much wider track than my 2001 4x2.

And you say OEM after (presumably) reading my definitions of OEM and OE, so therefore the wheels you have are not Original Equipment, but are something made by the same supplier as the OE wheels.

As an example, Michelin is an OEM for most all car manufacturers. Therefore any and all Michelin tires no matter the size or model are OEM, but not all Michelin tires are OE.

Reply to
David Kelly

I'll have to check the offset. It's a project I won't be getting to for a few more weeks. I looked up stock numbers for the wheels at an On-Line supplier and it looked like they had the same stock numbers for both the 2wd and 4wd and for several different years spanning the range of "mine" to "these".

Reply to
AZGuy

Reply to
Bobo