Tires

I'm looking for P255-70R-16 tires for my Silverado. What do you guys recommend? I am thinking about Hercules TerraTrac.

V.B.

Reply to
V.B.

bf goodrich has always been my choice and never let me down. old john

Hello, V.B.! You wrote on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:35:49 -0500:

V> I'm looking for P255-70R-16 tires for my Silverado. What do you guys V> recommend? I am thinking about Hercules TerraTrac.

V> V.B.

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

I didn't like the Goodyears that came on my '03 originally as they wore too fast and weren't worth a s#i+ in the rain after about 25k miles. I've got Dunlops on it now and they're holding up a LOT better - 2/3 of the tread left with about 25k on them, plus they seem to do a lot better when it's wet.

Reply to
scrape

This could be like the oil/synthetic debate :-)

But on a Blazer and S-10, I've gotten excellent wear out of Michelins.

60k and still had legal tread. Good ride, quiet.
Reply to
Miller

Hercules tires are a good tire.

What is the MAIN thing you are looking for from a tire...Low cost? High traction? Long wear? Load capacity? Mostly highway? ???

Reply to
Shades

Mostly highway, want decent wear & traction.

V.B.

Reply to
V.B.

Mostly highway, want decent wear & traction.

V.B.

That's the rub. Going for wear, Less traction. More traction, less wear. The harder the rubber, long life. soft rubber, more traction.

Lots of tire company's tell you they have both in one tire. I bought the LTX from Michelin, I got long life and they drove nice, but in the rain they would break traction at every take off. This was on my Toyota Tacoma 4x4

I now own a Colorado sport truck Bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and get lot's better traction then the stock OEM tire's, But I know there going to wear more then If I were to have got longer life tires. These are about the best tire that comes close to both wear and traction. But see above about both being on one tire

Reply to
kevin weaver

Michelin LTX M/S, or A/T if you are in an area that sees decent snow all winter long. Spendy, but will last 60,000miles or more with proper servicing.

Reply to
Shades

Oh yeah, and K&N air filters suck!!!

Reply to
scrape

from Michelin, I got long life and they drove nice, but in the rain they would break traction at every take off. This was on my Toyota Tacoma 4x4

lot's better traction then the stock OEM tire's, But I know there going to wear more then If I were to have got longer life tires. These are about the best tire that comes close to both wear and traction. But see above about both being on one tire

Still, look at the Dunlop Radial Rover series. It seems to be a pretty good compromise and they're available in different load ratings. I did the online review search and they seem pretty well regarded. I'm part way through my first set and am generally happy with them so far.

Reply to
scrape

tire...Low cost?

Reply to
Boots

I've got goodyear at/s tires on my truck right now. Don't care for them. Ok in rain and dry road but not so good in snow or mud. For heavy loads I liked the Dayton Timberline tires. E rating made carring 2600 lbs feel like a sunday drive. But after 45,000 miles they are OK on bare roads. Fair in the rain. But that's about it. Always had luck with the BFgoodrich All Terrain. Good all around tire in must conditions. Got around 50,000 to 60,000 miles before they became useless. That's what I'm going back to once the goodyears wear out.

That's my two sense anyways.

Did try Michelins once. Ran good for about 45,000. Had trouble with them leaking on aluminum rims. Was told at the shop that this was normal due to a softer bead used on their tires. Made them toughter to mount and dismount also. (At least that is what they said. And they didn't try to sell me different tires!)

Reply to
Daveman

Sorry about the spelling. Shouldn't be doing this this late at night!!!

Reply to
Daveman