To swap or not to add towing power

I'm looking to swap trucks (from '01 Silverado 5.3L , 3.73 ExCab to '02 Silverado 6.0L, 3.73 Crew Cab) to allow larger TTrailer hauling. Dealer can't tell me for sure what added tow capacity I will gain. Can anyone refer me to a website, or tell me towing advantage? Don't think this is a Vortex on 02.

Reply to
dustdevil

Greetings,

I can't say exactly, but for the money you will most likely be spending I don't think you're going to gain all that much in towing capacity. You will be adding some weight and losing some mileage as well in the process. If you really want added capacity for towing, keep looking around and get a used Duramax. For the extra money you will be gaining capacity but not losing any mileage.

Just my two cents worth - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

From what you posted you won't gain any, but you will be giving up some gas mileage. Why? Because the 6.0 does put out more power BUT the larger cab also weighs more.

Reply to
Steve W.

Depending on how often you tow and how large of trailer you plan on hauling it would make sense to wait for the diesel option. The 6.0 is a better motor for towing but get a standard or extra cab and that would help. The crew cab is longer, which is usually better for towing, but its heavier.

Reply to
mudmonkey

If he is talking about the same series, 1500 to 1500 , he isn't going to gain anything, and more than likely lose some. If hes going up, 1500 to 2500 then he will gain Compare CGVW ratings (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight) to find tow differences.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

======== ========

give this a try...... . . http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:Skvf_Z3fPc0J:

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Dunno about specs but my neighbor down the road with a 6.0 reg cab 2500 really sings the blues regarding mileage(12-13 mpg). But he grins like hell when ya ask him how well it pulls his big ol' cabin cruiser!

Snuffy

Reply to
snuffy smiff

Try this site for tow ratings.