Torque

Hello, I was wondering if any body knows which has more torque, the 5.7L or a 5.3L? I believe the 5.3 has about 20 more horse power but I don't how much torque they have. Thank you......Ed

Reply to
Ed Atyeo

Ihatespam

330 lb ft of torque in both. I think the 2005 5.3 will go to 310 hp with 335 lb torque. Glenn
Reply to
GlennB

Reply to
Ed Atyeo

Reply to
Ed Atyeo

Reply to
calhoun

Geez, they're almost catching up to what my 4 cylinder car has...... I know, different categories and yes you can go through more snow than me, tow larger cargo (due to suspension, driveshafts, etc..) go over bigger rocks, etc.. I just find it hard to believe the Chevy/Ford/Dodge/etc.... can't build more powerful 5 liter+ motors for production trucks. I mean 58.5 Hp/liter is border line horrible when compared cars (foreign & domestic) that make 100+ wheel horse power/liter that is now commonplace in 4 cylinders. With just a few basic modifications my vehicle is doing 191.5 wheel horse power per liter on a 2.0 liter engine w/ stock internals. I always thought that the was "no replacement for displacement", you'd think that the big three would utilize that a bit and start making some truly powerful trucks.

I'm sorry for the hijacking of this thread, and I'm sorry if it sounds like I am trying to start a domestic vs. import argument. I own both imports and domestics, including Chevy trucks (1990 S10 and 2004 Colorado). I just don't understand why the domestic automakers can't step up the power in their trucks accordingly.

Reply to
WRXtreme

"Commonplace" 400 RWHP 4-bangers? I don't think so buddy. BTW, what are you driving, a goddamned Porsche with a 380 HP 4-banger?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Turbo Chargers can help allot WRX boy. These are naturally aspirated engines. As well:

Average tractor trailer has say, about 310HP? Average F1 racer has say, about 900HP? Could an F1 pull a 61' trailer? Nope... Could a tractor go 240MPH? Nope... Torque or HP? A big V has the prior.... But (btw) mopar has a 500hp "truck" out...

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Chevy/Ford/Dodge/etc....

His POS Suburu doesn't have any where close to 400 RWHP. Bob

Reply to
Bob

61' trailer? Didn't know they exist.
Reply to
Me

I'm not a CDL licensed kinda guy, I was trying to remember. My appologies.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

One other thing: A tractor engine rated at 375 HP, can put it out all day long. For weeks on end. How long would a WRX put out its rated horsepower before it melted? They are fast cars, I'll give them that. But I would not want to go rounds all day long at a drag strip:)

Al

62 Chevy II, 406 small block, 601 HP at the crank on pump gas. No turbo, no power adders of any kind. 04 Dodge Cummins, 600 pounds of torque at 1,800 RPM. 325 HP. Not bad for a 360 inch Diesel:)
Reply to
Big Al

you're right....400 AWHP (all wheel horsepower). Dyno proven on an inertia dyno. Running 11.2 seconds thru the 1/4 @ 129mph.

If Subaru was such a POS company, why did GM decide to buy the rights for the WRX to use in its Saab WRX clone????

Reply to
WRXtreme

I'm not disputing that. Certainly my turbo makes a HUGE difference in my performance. Why haven't the big 3 started using forced induction (be it Turbo/Superchargers)? Like I've stated before, I am NOT anti-domestic, I have a ton of respect for them. I grew up in the upper-midwest in the heart of GM/Ford/Dodge country. Have been in love w/ the early Camaros and Cuda's for as long as I can remember. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be involved in drag racing today.

Hmm..I have 383 AWD Wheel Horse Power and 396 ft/lbs or torque (on an inertia dyno, not a roller dyno) w/o nitrous. Stock block, stock heads, stock internals. I really can't wait for the 2.7 stroker kit to be finished...should do WELL over 600 WHP and over 550 torque.

I give them HUGE credit for that. But its still only 60.24 Hp/liter and

63.25 torque/liter, so my question still stands.

Been doing it for 2 years, racing every weekend, driving to work every day rain/snow/shine.

Any reason why you wouldn't want to go all day on a drag strip w/ a WRX? I drive my 11 second car to the strip, switch to drag radials, run 30+ times a day (on open track test/tune type days) put street tires back on and drive home before most guys get their cars back in the haulers. This is nothing against the big V8's that many of you run, my original question is why is GM/Ford/Dodge/etc... not doing more to make their "big powerful engines" more power efficient in relation to displacement.

Certainly the WRX cannot pull trailers designed for semis, especially w/ the limited gearing that will fit into the transmissions (12+ gears compared to

5 or 6). I won't even begin to pretend they will.
Reply to
WRXtreme

before you all jump on me, to be honest its only 383 AWHP...I rounded up quickly.

Reply to
WRXtreme

Do drags, constantly, 10 hours a day, for 300,000 miles. See where you are. (Not that your 'rig' isn't impressive)

Not all things can just be "scaled up". If you have a model rocket that goes

1 mile high, you can't make one go 2 miles high by just putting another one ontop. It might go 1.5 miles. It's that kinda thing. On the other hand, I'm sure you are NOT the fastest car on the track..... (unless it's an import only track)

Nor could they pull it at 1800 RPM even with 12+ gears.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

God no, definately not the fastest at the track. Never have been, never will be. The fastest driven to some of the tracks I go to, yes, but definately not the fastest in class. The funny thing is, I am one of the slower cars at the track that has a lot of imports. Supra's running 1000 WHP on stock internals running 9.5 remove me from being the fastest there (and they drive to and from the track as well). Some of the DSM's (eclipse/talon/laser) run 10's as well.

I'm very well aware of how engines work, and your response kinda stated exactly what I was saying all along. You can't just put a turbo/supercharger on a vehicle not designed for it w/o making (in some cases) major changes to the fueling, timing, compression, etc... What I'd like to see is more performance cars/trucks coming from the big three w/ forced induction on them already (or at least an option for it) You can't tell me that the domestic crowd isn't dying to put up the HP/liter numbers that the import crowd does.

After re-reading my initial post, I can see why I got flamed by several people on here, I did sound arrogant and cocky. Anyone that knows me, knows that isn't how I try and come off. Sure I may "rib" some of the domestic guys at the track, but I get it back and it's all in fun. They also know that I spend almost as much time looking under their hoods as they do, just so I can see what techniques they are using for power (hey, alot of that stuff can be applied to my car as well)

Reply to
WRXtreme

Here is a BIG reason, EMISSIONS, Bet hardly ANY of the cars there will pass the requirements out for a new engine. Plus what kind of mileage are you getting when you run at the track all day? Another BIG reason is simply economics, better than 80 percent of the vehicles made are in the hands of people who really have no business behind the wheel of a vehicle (bitch all you want, but V&T rules in the US are a JOKE compared to most other countries), Do you really want someone behind the wheel of a car that can run 160 all day, when the drive with the phone in one ear, while reading some paperwork and eating their BigMac with the fresh coffee between their legs? Not me.. Now maybe if the US actually had real driver training and they actually enforced the laws instead of letting things slide... Anyway to make a good engine that will last over 100K takes an amount of money, to make one that is just as reliable and will run on crappy pump gas, producing high HP and good mileage plus meeting the emissions standards will probably take twice that amount of money, plus all the extra HP parts that are used requires more money, then you need a market for them. Since I don't notice Vettes and Mustangs outselling Impalas and Tauruses I doubt the market is there. Except for status symbols.

Myself I would much rather build a HP ride than ever buy one from the factory. When I go to the track with my OLD (1974) Nova with a straight six in it and proceed to dust LOTS of high dollar toys I love saying "I built it myself"

Oh specs on the Nova, started with a 250 block and did some work on the block, added a custom billet crank, rods, Arias pistons, Heads are wearing the largest valves I could stuff in the bores, rockers are custom ratio shaft mounted with double wall pushrods running off a Lunati ground cam. Running this through a heavily modified CrowerGlide trans (Powerglide with a clutch instead of a converter) into a Ford 9" With street legal rubber it will turn a 10.13 in the 1/4. Last trip on a rear wheel dyno had almost 530 HP at the rear wheels. That was on pump gas though....

Reply to
Steve W.

I passed CARB emissions when I was in california.

Plus what kind of mileage

At the track? 15mpg, on the way there 27 mpg.

I'm not saying EVERY car has to do this, it would be nice if it were even an option on some however. Subaru has been making 227 HP engines in the WRX in Japan for many years, they are very solid motors. In fact the 2.0 liter turbo motor in the Subaru WRX has been known to last to 250,000+ miles. Of course, like anything else, if you start beefing them up, the longevity is sure to decrease.

Me too. However it is nice to have a car that is highly receptive to mods.

Very impressed. Very nice setup you have there. The thing I find odd is that a lot of people seem to think that "race gas" makes more power just by putting it in your tank. all it does is reduce the risk of knock, which can allow for the motor to be leaned out a bit (or have the timing advanced...or both lean and advanced) for some added power. I'm assuming that was DOT approved drag radials, still very nice numbers there.

Surprisingly (perhaps?) you took nearly the same route I intend to to make power. I intend to do a motorswap utilizing the much stronger Subaru EJ22t

2.2 liter closed deck block, then putting in a stroker kit which will increase my displacement to 2.7 liters (arias pistons---gas ported, JUN rods). Also I plan on porting/polishing the heads (yes I have 2 heads, its not a typo), using titanium valves. My cams will be sourced from JUN. Ultimately this should push me deep into the 10's w/o N2O. Anyways, good luck at the track, and again I am impressed w/ your numbers & times.
Reply to
WRXtreme