towing advice for 99 5.3 Silverado

I don't have the towing package and see on my bumper that it says "max tongue load 500 lbs" & "max trailer load 5000 lbs".

Does this mean all I have to do is add the tow ball and I can easily bumper tow a camping trailer with GVWR of 1500 lbs. & hitch weight of

155 lbs?

I guess the only drawback to not having tow package is that I'll be missing the electrical connector for trailer brake lights attachment?

thanks. c

...and the proper receiver...and the all important transmission cooler.

Reply to
Autumn

What you are reading is the Rear Bumper tow limits..... Class 1

A Frame mounted hitch ups those numbers a lot .... In your case with

a big towing Safety margin......

I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3 L Z-71 with the Tow Package & Tekonsha

electric Brake controller added..... I tow a 14', 6000 Lb RR Club trailer once a month.. I know it's there... Use no Over drive!!

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

Just cause the bumper is rated, not sure the rest of the truck is. I'd want to ask a dealership these questions. And then go find a repair garage that does tow hitches, and ask the same questions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon