Tranny Swap Cont.

OK I believe everything Marsh says about the swap. He sound like he knows his stuff.

What is the difference between the 4L60 and the 4L60E? I was under the understanding that the "E" stood for Electronic and the other trans was the same as the old 700R4, just with the addition of the electronic speed sensor.

When I have looked at the wiring on both trucks the only difference I see, in the wiring, is that the TH400 has an extra piece that runs to a plug on the firewall junction box(above where the heater hoses go into the cab).That small section of wiring is seperate from the main harness and when removed the remaining wiring LOOKS identical to the wiring on the other truck.

I have access to a truck that has been written off so I can get any parts, wiring, modules that I need to do the swap. Is it possible to do this with the parts from another truck, and if not, why? If it is possible, what parts are essential to get off the donor?

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

Meat Plow

Helpful site adresses some of the issues

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

Q: What's the difference between the 4L60 and 4L60E tranny?

A: The 1993 cars came with the 4L60 automatic tranny while the 1994's and later got the electronic version (4L60'E'). The 4L60E got an electronic valve body which can vary the shifts and feel dynamically to meet the existing driving conditions. Acutally, if you drive a '93 and '94 (under normal conditions), there is a noticable difference in that the 93 shifts are much more firm and abrupt. The 94 (and later) have a "variable" feel depending on throttle position, which of course at wide open throttle, feels like the 93. This electronic valving is also supposed to reduce the wear over the life of the tranny. If you have a

93, you might want to try driving in 3rd (or "D" on the Pontiacs). Once the revs get to high in 3rd, put it into 4th (or "OD") manually. Due to the valving, the shifts should be much firmer at all times in 3rd than 4th.

"Quoted from f-body.org"

So is a 4L60 the same as a 700R4 or not?

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

According to the link I provided the 4L60 is an updated version of the

700R4.

TRANSMISSION SWAP NEWS AND NOTES

  • 700R4 and 4L60 use the same yoke as the TH350 (smaller than the TH400).
  • Driveshaft needs to be shortened (measure from the back of the tailshaft, or flat transmission rear seal surface, to the flat of your pinion flange (at, or as close to ride height as possible).
  • Transmission cooler lines fit with minor realignment.
  • Speedometer cable requires no modification. Hooks right up!
  • Transmission case is slightly larger on 4L60 (no clearance problems on this El Camino--could be tight in other applications).
  • Transmission crossmember needs to be moved forward from TH400 location (rearward from TH350 or Powerglide). This El Camino had multiple crossmember mounting holes from the factory, already there for different combinations. Even so, we did have to drill and tap two new holes.
  • If using a single-pattern flexplate, be sure it matches the bolt pattern on your converter before installing the transmission. Dual-pattern flexplates should not be a problem, though you may consider using one that's SFI approved.
  • Proper adjustment of the TV (throttle valve) cable is the most important part of this swap. The TV cable performs the functions of both transmission kickdown and line pressure. Follow the factory instructions to the letter, or call the Hughes Tech Line if you're in doubt. You can fry the transmission in no time at all, if this adjustment isn't done properly. The TV cable resembles those used on a TH350, but the 4L60 cable does a lot more. We can't over emphasize the importance of this step.
  • Another key item is properly setting the vacuum modulator. Here again, Hughes supplies easy-to-follow instructions.
  • Wiring for the lockup converter is simple: one 12-volt, "key-on" wire to the front, driver's side terminal of the factory plug.
  • Additional needs:
  • Three, 1-1/4 X 5/16-inch Grade-8 bolts and locknuts for the torque converter
  • A 4L60/700R4 dipstick and tube
  • For aftermarket or Factory shifters, you'll need two metric pan bolts (longer than those supplied with the transmission).
Reply to
Meat Plow

1994's

[...]

====== ======

On Jul 27, 4:04?pm, Edmonton ChevGuy asked AGAIN:

So is a 4L60 the same as a 700R4 or not?

====== ======

The answer to your question is Yes, it's not. (fact, not fiction)

and.....It's THM700R4.....please, use the correct nomenclature when discussing a system specific component.....or i mites gits confuszed.

ok....

ok....

ok......

OK!!!!!!!!.........

i'll stop answering JUST the question you asked and elaborate on the subject if you insist......dammit man....... settle down...........

here......some facts, not fiction........

THM700R4 was used BEFORE 1993

4L60 has been used in trucks since 1993.

The difference between the THM700R4 and the 4L60??? none...don't exist....never have....except for design improvements.

but.......if your name was Chester yesterday, and it was legally changed to Lester today..........Chester would not exist anymore.....would he?

:)

hey.....remember how i like encoding messages...???

:)

Tourbo Hydra Matic

7 0 >series 0 Rear wheel drive 4 forward gears

4 forward gears Longitudianl

6 0 > relative strenght of unit

GM's 4L30, 4L60, 4L80 series trannies once had the "THM" nomenclature......since changed. And now, with the "E" suffix....you can have those same 1960 thru 1990 transmissions controlled by the computer, E lectronically.

:)

any whoooo......

like i said......NO !!! it's not the same.....is it?

besides......do you like Wonder bread? or Sunbeam?

~~

00 L O

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his mushroom tea....wonders if one of the experts here are gonna say he's wrong on the 1993 application statement.... reaches over fer his ammo box......yep...it's full~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

====== ======

On Jul 27, 4:45?pm, Meat Plow wrote: . . According to the link I provided the 4L60 is an updated version of the 700R4. . . ====== ======

I believe that statement is false and misleading.

so.......ima gonna go ck and see.

bb ltr

~:~ marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

========= =========

I"M.......BAAAACK!!!!!!

and as i suspected.......it didn't say what you said it said, instead what it said was........

(and i do not quote...i copy and paste)

it said.............

He chose a Hughes Performance 4L60 (not to be confused with the

4L60E), which is an updated version of the popular 700R4.

one would think that one who thought would think that reading what i think was written......one would understand that the statement in question leaves open the question of think'n if a MODIFIED AFTERMARKET supplier might think that what was written was clearly readable and there in think that a thinker could understand......the unit had been modified, therefore making it a modified unit.

so.....according to the link you provided, a Hughes Performance 4L60 is a modified 700R4, which makes your statement.....false and misleading.

~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a toke.......puts a corvette servo in the 700r4....... mmmm........another Monster Perfomance 4L60...ready for install....modified~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

MMMM someone seems to know what's up, so here's a question after a short statement.

I always get these weird desires to modify cars. I have a minor thing for English sports car body design, but care a tinkers damn for the drive trains nor the electronics, after all everyone knows the real reason English men drink warm beer is because Lucas manufactured the beer coolers as well. And the english motors were not known for long term survivability with out major work, nor where they very fast in stock configuration. All said and done, I think it would be nice to put a 2.0 or better yet super charged one from a Caviler or Cobalt SS into say an MGBGT, or a Spitfire, but the question(I said there would be one) is what tranny could I put behind it for a rear wheel application if any? For health reasons, as much as I would love a stick, it just isn't possible any more. There where six cylinder MGBs using the engine from the Triumph TR-6, called the MGBCGT, as well as eight cylinder model using the Buick Aluminum block 215 sold to Ranger(Only two years though, didn't handle very well at all) so suspension components capable of the extra weight the automatic would add are there.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Ok then go f*ck yourself. That isn't misleading is it?

Reply to
Meat Plow

LOL, for a guy (Marsh Monster) who's sig indicates he tokes, the rod up his butt has a rod up it's butt. Must be crap pot, lol

Reply to
Battleax

========= =========

I thoroughly enjoyed reading yer vivid and lucid depictorial on yer joy of warm beer and English motor cars............

to answer yer question......and stay on topic.......

I don't know. srry but.....that's the facts.

and you know me Lightn'n......i loves stick'n to duh facts.

:)

~:~ marsh ~pours one fer lightn'n.......runs off to google the prospects of sticken an allison tranny in that mgb~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

============ ============

the facts sir.......jest duh facts.........

and to answer yer question........

nope.......i kinda got that one.

:)

~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a toke......loves it when he's rite........mmmmmmmm good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

LOL, for a guy (Marsh Monster) who's sig indicates he tokes, the rod up his butt has a rod up it's butt. Must be crap pot, lol

====== ======

ooooooooooooooooooooooo.......................

do you know what you jest did??????????

NO SOUP FER YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~:~ MarshMonster ~rolls one up.......looks at the redhairs and no seeds....... and wonders.......how much better could it git......... mmmmmmmm...........good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

OK .... I was under the understanding that the THM700R4 was used in the trucks(rememberI'm talking trucks here) until 1988 when they changed to the new body style. and then with the inseption of the non-cable type speedometer it became the 4L60. And only in 1993 when they switched it again with the computer controls did it become the 4L60E. This is info I saw in the Hayes Manual I have for the 1988-1998 Truck.I know the Hayes Manual is an OK reference but not to take it for gospel because they have screwed it up in the past.

So without any designation of which transmission I'm using....I f I were take a used transmission(still working good, rebuit a couple years ago)out of a 1989 Chevrolet Truck and it has 4 forward gears;

  1. Am I going to have issues with the (Stupid) computer?
  2. What might be the designation of a transmission from these years?
  3. Can the VSS for my speedometer be put into an older cable type THM700R4?

My head hurts....I just want to get my truck back on the road

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

Profile:

View this thread:
Hidequoted text -

=================== ===================

as promised...........enjoy......

after looking at this page, click to their homepage.. i believe it says "go back to transmission pricing".... or something along that line........

anywhoooooo............

hope that headaches better........

here's an aspirin..............

~:~ marsh ~pours you a drink~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Well I'm going on holidays. When I get back I think I'll just steal a

many parts as I can get my hands on from the donor truck. That shoul make this a whole lot easier. Change whatever wiring I need to an Computer, relays and whatever is even remotely tied into transmissio contro

-- Edmonton ChevGu

this thread:

Edmonton ChevGuy