Transmission on 1998 K2500

I've noticed in recent months an odor coming from the front end of my truck when I've carried a load, mostly over shorter distances, i.e. around town. Case in point, drove the truck about 40 miles to pick up a small load of stone and 40 miles back home, no smell. Drove the same load about 5 miles from the shop, about 1/3 the distance was up a gradual hill, truck smell. The smell is not of burning oil, antifreeze or brake dust, as I've had the unfortunate opportunity to encounter each of these on other vehicles. I'm not really sure how to describe the smell except to say that is not "foul", but rather noticable". I realize that description is probably not helpful but the best I can do.

Since the arrival of winter I have not encountered the smell even when plowing (plow plus ballast in the truck bed) - cold weather perhaps. I don't notice any significant difference in how the truck drives other than it seems to take a bit longer to upshift but I attribute that to the extra weight of my snowplow and ballast in the bed. Brought the truck to the garage last week for an oil change and asked the mechanic to look it over and road test it if possible. He pointed out some oil on the back of the engine, most likely from replacing intake manifold but that was several years ago, by the dealer before I bought the truck. No other problems to report - note, the temp was hovering either side of 0 degrees that day.

If this were some type of transmission problem, what types of symptoms should I be on the look out for? As I said before this is a 98 K2500. It is an auto transmission and the truck has 125K miles on it. Starts up every day with no issues, burns very little oil, and average gas mileage. There is a slight knocking in the engine when I first start the engine, mostly on cold days.

Also, what does a transmission rebuild/replacement go for these days?

Ok, "smells hot", can you tell I'm not a mechanic? It does not smell like oil or

Reply to
Jimmy