Transmission question

I have a chance to get an 88 Caprice pretty much for hauling it off from my cousin who is a wholesale dealer. It has what I assume is a 350, with a 4bbl and overdrive trans. He says it runs pretty good. My question is: would that most likely be a 700R4 or a 200. I need a 700, and the price is certainly right on this one. Thanks Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

As memory serves, if it has the 350, it most likely has the 700-R4. If it has a 305, it most likely has a 200-4R. With Chevy's, the 200-4R was put behind 3.8's, 4.3's and 5.0's, whereas the 700R4 was put behing anything bigger.

Just to be sure, find the transmission application tag (if it's still there) and find the 15-digit assembley code. If the 11th character is an "F" it a

200, if the 11th character is an "M" it's a 700.

You can also try to find the RPO code sticker in the glovebox or under the seat and look for MD8 (700R4) or MW9 (200-4R)

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"