Transmission stuck

Hey, I have a 93 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 5speed manual. I was plowing snow the other day, it was a very rough driveway and I was attempting to go slow, but needed some speed to clear the packed snow. The tranny is now stuck in 4th gear. I have removed the shift lever and it's not the shear pin, so it must be inside, the lever will not move. The dealer wants $3500 for a rebuilt tranny, there's a used one for $1000, with about 100,000 miles, less than my 147,000 miles. If I was to remove the cover plates, is anything accessible and visible ? Any ideas on what to look for/ at ? Thanks jerry

Reply to
jerry

Jerry,

If it's a 1/2 ton I'm assuming it's a NV3500 transmission. I'd pull it and take a look. Can't hurt. Hope you have a heated garage. I have a service manual for that transmission, so if you get inside I may be able to help.

Many Dodge and Chevy service manuals have the 3500 in them. Check out your local library.

Al Al

Reply to
Big Al

Al Thanks for the info. Here's an update for the archives and a question. It's an MT8/NV4500, I don't really know the difference between the two, MT8 is called out in the VIN check, so thats what it is. Removed the tranny, removed the top cover plate, no pieces in the bottom, shift forks intact, the gears inside all turn, the shift rings move back and forth. The top cover has three rods that operate the shift forks, with the shift lever installed and the top removed from the tranny,this will not operate. Using a common screwdriver and depressing the neutral pins, allows the levers to operate. reinstalling the shift lever, it now operates the way it's supposed to, goes into and out of all the gears with no hang-ups. I guess the rods somehow got out of time ? Had I known this simple screwdriver trick, it would have saved me removing all that I did. Anything else I should look at or do? Thanks jerry

Reply to
jerry