TRUCK COMPARISONS

LOOKING TO UPGRADE TO EITHER A CHEVY 1500 HD OR 2500 HD CREW CAB 6.0 OR TO A 2500 HD WITH THE DURAMAX. WHAT KIND OF MILEAGE ARE THE 2002-2005 GAS MODELS GETTING VERUS THE DIESELS. ANY THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS ARE WELCOME. ALSO HAS ANY ADDED EXTRAS TO THEIR GAS MOTORS TO IMPROVE THE MILEAGE AND HAS IT WORKED.

Reply to
atc

Greetings,

I just love when people go looking for aftermarket add-on's that improve mileage, but that's another story. You won't find anything that will give you any significant, consistant improvement in mileage unless it either costs more than it will ever save or hurting you somewhere else.

FWIW, I own a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Silverado crewcab, 2wd with the Duramax 6.6L diesel and the Allison 5-speed automatic. I clock my mileage religiously every fill-up. As of my last tankfull, I was getting 19.5 mpg in combined city/highway driving (300.1 miles, 15.35 gallons) with the AC on constantly

I've gotten over 21 mpg on the highway on a long-distance stretch doing a constant 70 mph with the cruise control, and as little as 18.5 mpg in town with the AC on. Towing my 4000# trailer knocks about 2-3 mpg off those numbers. I live in Florida (no hills - so consider that as well).

The narrow range between city and highway mpg as well as the overall good mileage for such a heavy truck is nice. Where I live diesel fuel sells for about the same price as mid-grade gasoline. Another thing to consider - the '06+ models with the Allison now have 6 speeds instead of 5 to help squeeze out a little more mpg on the highway. I'm still running the stock tires and the only modification I've made has been to add a secondary fuel filter with a 2 micron element for added protection.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Upgrade your keyboard first. It's broken!

Reply to
Bob M