Truck goes dead when put into gear...HELP!!!

My '88 Chevy 1/2 ton (engine from a '95,.. transmission JUST rebuilt) goes dead as soon as it is put into gear. Idles fine, goes dead as quick as you pull it into gear.

350 c.i.d. throttle body

Any suggestions? I don't know where to start. :(

Thanks for any help, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Lesley

if just rebuilt means just installed then I would suspect the tranny.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Possible Lockup torque converter is locked up. Check the connections. This would be just like a standard trans with the clutch out. They have a connection / switch / device that releases the lockup part when rolling up to a stop just to keep this from occurring. I am not a tranny guy but have seen this discussed before in the forums.

GM

Reply to
GM

That was a thought that momentarily crossed my minds, except it would be locked in park as well, so it wouldn't start in the first place.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Oh yes it will start. I had an 88 Chevy that TCC relay failed on, and that's exactly how it acted. Engine would restart fine after stalling at light, but die when shifted to Drive.

--

Reply to
Reed

Thanks guys,

I strongly suspect tranny/torque converter also. I crawled under it and unplugged the wires/plug-ins to the tranny but it didn't change anything

I towed it back to the guys shop who rebuilt it. I will get him to check it tomorrow.

Reply to
Jeff Lesley