Truck top speed limited

I took my 2004 Silverado Vortec V6 5 speed up to its top speed today. Its speed limited. . To 97 mph.

fourth gear it got to about 3800 rpm and 97 mph and it cut off. Accelerating real well.

Fifth and about 3200 and 97 mph and it cutoff. Accelerating but slowly.

Can I remove this Bull s_ _ _ limiter somehow.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Aftermarket programmers from Hypertech and the like can do it. Cost from $300 up. Or find a GM TechII scanner (or a bribeable GM technician).

Reply to
BikeRider50

The redlines like 6000. Its limited to 3800 in fourth and 3200 in fifth. It aint nowhere near redline. Its clearly a speed limit.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Yes - at least on two 97 GM's I had, it was set to the rated limit of the factory tires. Not a rev limit, but a vehicle speed limit. Can be changed with aftermarket code reader/ programmer or GM scan tool. Be aware, the inexpensive "display the code" type devices (say, $80-100) won't be able to do this. Figure $300 and some learning time. I found a friendly GM tech who did it for a gift card from a good steak place :-)

Reply to
Miller

3200 RPM redline? Most V Vortecs redline around 5500. My 4.2 Vortec I6 has no redline but has an RPM limiter around 6500 RPM.
Reply to
Teredo

Yeah but you'll need a obd ii programmer or flash tuner. Check into the Diablo Sport models.

Reply to
Teredo

It's on there because its a TRUCK not a damn sports car. It handles like a TRUCK. It stops like a TRUCK.

The factory tires (and many replacement tires that fit) are not rated for much over 100 mph.

As for can it be removed. Sure, just run out and get a programmer and remove it. Figure 3-400 bucks or more. OH and you better make sure that you have tires that can handle it as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Which has nothing to do with speed limiting. Even old 70s trucks went

120.

Which means they will do at least 25% more then that. Safely.

Any tire will handle it.

So I'm going too.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Reply to
DogDiesel

Reply to
DogDiesel

Where the hell and on what roads in Ohio are you going to be going more than 70MPH ?? You can't even do it on the pike yet,let alone in a six year old truck thats been in salt that long !!

JR.

Reply to
Jerry - OHIO

Oh boy. You cant even...... . Well. fill in anything. drive fast, smoke pot, sell a vehicle with a broke window, dump your oil behind the garage. , sneak into a movie. shoot a 22 in your garage in a sandbag. . Throw tires in the garbage. disconnect your air pump. light h100s on Fourth of July. I'm not buying the follow the stupid people rules. I'm not dumb and the gubment aint dumbing me down either. Slow people move to the right.

So,.... You can, I did, So what. I was on the pike. People blow by me at

80 all day long. 97 isn't that far away. To find out some retards put a speed limit on the thing . So stupid people don't have to check their tire pressures.
Reply to
DogDiesel

I've had the spedo buried @ 120 in my 03 Trailblazer @ 4500 rpm. It was still accelerating and the tach stops at 7000. I've had my 08 BMW 335i twin turbo up to 160 still accelerating like it would do 200. This was on an open stretch of I70 in OH. I've had my stock 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX 1300R up to 180.

So what?

Reply to
Teredo

Exactly.

Ive had a skateboard fast enough to see telephone poles like a picket fence. Melted the wheel bearing right out of it. And My 82 Gold Wing over

100. But it dont like it at all.

And no matter how fast you go.

You cant catch a crack head .

:)

Reply to
DogDiesel

Hope nobody I know or love is on the road at the same time you decided to drive like a complete moron.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Its YOUR road, you just allow others to be on it by the goodness of your heart.

Reply to
Troy

Fast does not equal moron. Just like Speedlimit in the fast lane doesnt equal inteligence.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Just funnen ya, I just pulled over on rt.8 at Steels Corners ,105 in a

  1. .00 fine and court coasts.~~0.00 that's a hell of alot of paper work . I guess Cuy. Falls doesn't have computers yet.

Jr

Jerry - OHIO

Around 31 years ago,my buddy and I went around 103,on a chopped out 72 Sportster. And 110 in an old 70's Olds. We were lucky, no mishaps. And I got the need for excessive speed out of my system.

Reply to
4546

A Quadzilla tuner will allow you to do that. I imagine several other tuners will as well. I left my rev limiter set and just used it to update for my tire size.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Its not even close to redline at that speed. These diesels have tons of untapped power. They are rev limited and detuned for emissions.

Reply to
Bob La Londe